Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

May 5, 2022

Full Swing Spring! New Job

 


Full Swing Spring!
We had some cool weather, but it's been definitely spring in the daytime! We had some 60s/ 70s, then back to the 50's with heavy rain, 30's at night. Almost time to take off the comforter and put on the quilts and blankets. It's a ritual every Spring. We have such a heavy thick winter comforter that we start cooking when the weather is milder. Everything is really coming up in green and it's just gorgeous! Our curved garden we added last year came through the winter really well with a minor loss of plants. Dave touched up the bar dust a little bit and it looks great! 





space for a replacement shrub



Interesting garden visitor, a Tippler Pigeon

I did some research and found out our feathered visitor is a racing pigeon, more here Pigeonpedia.com  I will see if I can get it used to me to see if I can find the owner by the band #.  The chickens for laying 2-4 eggs a day and are in full swing. Ironically with egg prices skyrocketing I actually don't know how much they cost in the stores? I know our feed has gone way way up and I'm hearing information from the NW and the South feed prices may double soon, if they haven't already. That will not bode well for farmers. Not enough corn for Ethanol either according to hubby's co-worker. We have a little extra feed stockpiled and I do have some ideas if things get really bad as far as how to feed the hens over the winter, etc. Anybody else seeing skyrocketing feed prices or other animal supplies? Cat food seems to be staying pretty level it's up a little bit but not too much.



New Job-
It took me awhile to get there, but I decided to quit my job last month. The job I started with was customer service, but since the first of the year it morphed into a high-volume call center environment. It  was not my background, and adding of more and more stats was confusing. I reached a point where it's just really wasn't worth the stress, especially given the current job market. Since I have a great skill set I applied for a job with a large private practice and got hired! Happy dance. I'll still be working in the medical auth biz but it has been more of a quiet work environment. Listening to phones ringing off the hook all day is not my thing. I may be doing more of a hybrid kind of job, working from home two weeks/office two weeks.  It's flexible. My previous employers tried to talk me into staying by offering me more money, but when I mentioned moving into a different position they had no response. That confirmed my decision. When you're already short-staffed the last thing you want to do is squeeze your existing staff harder and harder. It was time to go. I LOVE my new job and staff so far. Really great group. Biggest work space so far, time to decorate! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...