Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Nov 8, 2020

First Snow! Independence Days Challenge

 

First Snow! 
We sure did hit our record low! It warmed back up, with 67 Friday, then the wind kicked in yesterday, Saturday. Rain started late afternoon, then snow I noticed around 10 p.m. At 5:50 am today I saw about 2 " of SNOW was on the ground, with more coming!  


It's 32, still snowing and melting on the ground.  Forecast is more snow this week off and on, cold, 22 degrees tonite. Lots of snow in the mountains, it's a big storm!




Independence Days Challenge-
We've been busy, and yet the days are shorter, with garden put to bed for the winter. Friday, with the storm coming in, I covered my garden bench with plastic and took down the last of the garden decor to move inside. The patio table and chairs are now stored as well. We're doing a BIG project right now, that will be a separate post! So here's what we've been up to! 

1. Plant Something-
Not this time of year, garden has been put to bed. 
 
2. Harvest Something-
We got an egg yesterday, our first in about 5 months! Either one of our young hens has started laying or one of the older ones started again. Time will tell, but very excited! Looking forward to having our own fresh eggs again, that was always one of my goals. With 3 new hens we should have a good supply of eggs this winter, although it varies with the shorter days-



I harvested the last of my Thyme, Oregano and Collard greens-


3. Preserve/Store Something-
I bought a new Nutrichef freezer bag vacuum machine. I did quite a bit of research before I bought one. Ironically the $55 version I bought at Amazon was a better deal than the same price at Costco. The Costco brand was only 8" wide on the bags, which isn't very large. This machine goes up to 11"". So far I've mostly done fresh produce but we'll start doing meats, etc. when I get a good deals. I hope this will prevent a lot of freezer burn I've had in the past and the reviews were great! Link on left sidebar. For some reason Blogger won't let me put an Amazon link here, just a photo with link, go figure. It's noisy and does take a little getting use to. Took me a couple of tries, but Youtube helped, and it worked great after that. The only thing I had trouble with was trying to bag quartered, dead ripe tomatoes. So much juice came out of the bag it wouldn't seal! Next time, I'd do them whole, that worked fine. It's been working great for storing garden produce! I did a lot of fresh garden tomatoes mixed with sweet peppers and Italian frying peppers- 





Italian peppers to stuff





I made a big batch of pasta sauce with our own organic tomatoes, added sausage and froze half. Good for more dinners. 

4. Manage Reserves- Get a Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep-
Went to the farmstead again, loaded up on local produce, with great prices and supports local farmers. Will freeze some of it. Froze some other french breads from a local store for later. I always make more soups in the winter and love a chunk of hot fresh bread with it! 

I bought some seed-saving envelopes, to start saving my own seeds. I've been lazy about that! We save some of my left over veggie and herb seeds. I got a set of 100 (link on left sidebar) for $8.00 and have started with some flowers I had and a gorgeous purple, tall ornamental grass down the street-





Bought new flatware, ours was really pretty beat up. I've been working quite a bit of overtime, with more coming, so I decided to replace it. I looked a lot online and did research. I got a great deal on Overstock.com for a 12 service setting set instead of an 8 service setting for the same price elsewhere. I also had a 15% off coupon, so it was about $110.00. Nice weight, should last the next 20 years, simple and pretty. I kept coming back to this pattern and loved it when I opened the box.  It's Mikasa French Countryside flatware-  


Also came with a nice hostess/serving set , basically 2 large spoons, large fork and butter knife, great for the holidays coming up!  

Hostess set

I wanted to sort and reorganize the silverware drawer, when I bought the flatware, what a mess! 
Before-


I bought a Erden Bamboo Expandable Drawer Organizer for Utensils, $25.00 on Amazon, fits perfect! I also moved some things to the china cabinet and donated some. Holds everything and the width is expandable. I measured carefully the inside edges of drawer. Fits great, with about 3" extra in the back. Dave cut a piece of scrap wood in back so it's doesn't slide back. I put little-used items back there. Perfect, may buy another for my "junk drawer. I liked the bamboo divider a lot! 


5. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipe- 
I made the new beef roast recipe in my last post which was great! A good use of some of the leftovers was to make a Philly Style French dip. I split two pieces of French bread, put thin slices of beef topped with Swiss cheese, sautéed bell peppers, a little pepperoncini then broiled. I made Au Jus to go with it and it was great on a work night. Sorry no photos! I found some new baking recipes I may try. This is on my list for the holidays, Rosie is an amazing baker!


6. Build Community Food Systems-
We went to The Lakeview Fruit farmstead this weekend, they're closing soon. We bought some local apples (amazing), pears, huge bells peppers (.50 cents each!), local bread and 2 organic roasting chickens, will roast the chicken tonight- 


I bought enough apples to fill up our crisper in the fridge. Other than home-grown these are the best apples I've ever eaten! 


7. Recycle/Re-Use-
I made some donations to the local thrift store after cleaning more things out of the kitchen. Flatware and storage containers mostly. I found some really great deals on eBay for some used children's books for our grandson for Christmas. I know some people wouldn't do that, but if it's like new as an ex-Librarian, I know they will be fine. We're all thrifty in my family! I also scored a plush but I won't say which one in case one of my kiddos is reading this.
 
8. Skill Up-
I learned all about stainless steel flatware when I started doing some research about buying a new set. It's mostly the weights of the steel which affects the durability, there's 18/10 (best) and 18/0 (less durable) as a rough guide. Then there's the styles, basically American (smaller) and European larger. I went with the larger, similar to the bistro type sizes I've used and liked. Interesting info here- NY Times Guides To Buying Flatware


I'm also learning about hot water heaters, more later! 
 
9. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something-
Our TV signal died Friday. We had Roku so the internet worked, but lost all the other channels. We have an antenna on the roof, which has done a great job. We ditched cable quite a few years ago, talk about saving $$$! We have about 45+ free channels, the Roku channel (ton there)  and Netflix.  Dave checked the coax cable on the roof and it was toast. Luckily we had spare cable! For no cost Dave was able to re-install new cable, and fit it all back together. Only thing to do is paint it in the spring when it warms up.

I got my new oil lamp burner from Lehman's, took about 3 weeks. Works great, looks nice and shiny! $5.00 fix-






13 comments:

Goatldi said...

Nice post. Sorry about the trolls nothing like a pot stirrer to put a damper on your day.

I will be looking for some of the items you mentioned.

Cockeyed Jo said...

Nancy those apples look great. You can keep the snow though.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks its easy enough to delete, which I did, I guess some people have too much time on their hands! Happy to help share some new items

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes we're actually lucky it's not very much now which is good otherwise there shoveling involved. And those apples are so good super crunchy and sweet and juicy! I was glad I thought to go back out there before they close in a week and a half for the season

Rain said...

Hi Nancy :) I love that hostess/serving set! :) Gosh you got snow, we haven't yet...imagine that! Every time I read about your Independence Day challenges, I ask myself how another year just flew by...Nice lantern! I bought some apples and I'm going to be canning apple butter. We like to mix that in with our cheese fondues, gives it a nice sweet flavour!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks rain a lot of times the nicer sets do come with the hostess at which is really nice! Yes time does certainly fly by for sure. I can't believe we're approaching the end of the year. I love apple butter to I was thinking after the holidays I'm a thought out some homegrown Organic Apple chunks and make some in my Crock-Pot. It's so much better than the store-bought!

Veronica said...

I found when sealing juicy items if you pop them in the freezer for a little bit you don't get the juice issue and your food seal better.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Veronica, great idea! I'm a newbie to the sealing thing. Thanks for dropping by!!!

Wendy said...

So I am not the only one allways doing research when buying something new (sometimes I take too long). Learned as wel about the 18/10 because it stays good even done in dishwashers. So you made a good choice.
Your apples look so nice. Tomorrow my husband and I try to go shopping in Germany. Groceries are much cheaper there. Because of covid they have lowered their tax on groceries. Hope my husband will have some patient, he is not much of a shopper :-)

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes Wendy I'm a researcher! I always find it pays to do a little research before buying certain things especially higher-end items. Part of what I was looking for was durability being dishwasher safe and something of course that look nice! Yes the apples are amazing I had my first one yesterday. I was wanting to go to Germany! I have family from theories of Czechoslovakia and Austria and with the borders changing over time I probably had somebody that lived there. Thanks for stopping by!

Rain said...

Hi Nancy :) Just responding to your comment on my blog, thank you!!! I adore Lucille Ball! She's a hoot and I still love watching her shows on You Tube! As for Haven, we don't watch television but I can see why you'd fall in love with Nova Scotia...it's gorgeous there. In fact, that's where Alex and I wanted to really settle down but we couldn't find something affordable. I love every part of Nova Scotia! :)

Rain said...

Nancy, the radio show with Garrison Keillor, was that A Prairie Home Companion? I listened to that a few times!

Nancy In Boise said...

He was great and there's a movie too! Got from the library, very charming!!!! Sorry didn't see this sooner, went to the spam folder.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...