Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Aug 17, 2020

Removing Tomato Foliage For Ripening, Going Back To A DSLR Camera, Sandi's Blackberry Crumb Cake, A Greek Dinner



Removing Tomato Foliage For Ripening-
It's been HOT here, triple digits! 103 yesterday, 101 today, but a storm blew in this evening. It dropped 20+ degrees in three hours. We just water, water. It 's been a tough year for our tomatoes, they're about a month behind. I had the idea last week to cut back the excess foliage to help them ripen faster. We usually do this in Sept/Oct! There's tons of tomatoes, just mostly green. The good news is it's still August so they should ripen soon! These are the "after" shots, visualize green leaves exploding out of the cages!!! 






Anya

Going Back To A DSLR Camera-
I started using an SLR (Single Lense Reflex) camera when I was young. The last 10 + years I switched to a point and shoot and it works great for a lot of things. Many people use their phone cameras, but I prefer the real thing. There's so much more you can get right, without having to alter the photos later. Dave gave me his 10 + year old D (Digital) SLR recently and I'm getting reacquainted with it. The photos are much more crisp, work SO much better in mixed, natural lighting. Here's a few samples, some with a macro lense- 






Lovely Anya, faster shutter speed helps here


The shot above is a great example, clear with a blurred background! Natural lighting

Grandson River, great in low lighting

Another example, crisp, great detail, low lighting

I'm still using my point and shoot, but will be migrating away from it. You'll be seeing better photos!




Blackberry Crumb Cake-

Our blackberries really loved our wet May/June! Picking lots, freezing some and did some baking this weekend-

More coming

Since we had so many berries I made my favorite Sandi's Blackberry Crumb Cake  FYI, I don't use a food processor, a pastry cutter works fine. Less clean up time! I subbed WW Pastry flour and walnuts instead of pecans. It's moist and slightly crunchy from the topping! You could use raspberries too, the tartness makes the cake-





A Greek Dinner
I stumbled on some recipes lately and thought I'd try these! Nice for summer time, just wish I'd had fresh tomatoes from the garden. Video here - Diane Kochilas Greek Odyssey Video PBS Eggplant recipe- Garlicky Eggplant  Polenta recipe- Ionian Polenta  The sauce was a bit chunkier than hers but still delish! I made an 11" x 13" pan, leftovers were even better! Next time I think I'd roast the eggplant slices to cut down on the olive oil. Just brush with oil til slightly soft. I also reduced the oil in the polenta. I served with Feta cheese, nice, fresh tasting summer meal! It's a keeper!


14 comments:

Rain said...

Hi Nancy :) Oh your tomatoes are bigger than mine! :) I know, I usually trim the leaves in September...I don't have any leaves to trim yet lol. Anya is so sweet, I agree about the cameras. I get lazy and use my phone but I have a really nice Canon camera that I've been bringing out more often lately. Nice name for your grandson! Your Greek dinner looks delicious, I have a craving for Feta! :)

Debby said...

I want a really good camera. However, these days, what I want and what I need are 2 different things. I use my iPhone camera. It's okay!

My tomatoes were pathetic this year. So disappointing.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Rain garden will get there we hope!

Yes Debby I hear you. My camera is actually about 10+ years old, but works great! Sorry your tomatoes are in bad shape.

Leigh said...

It seems to be a bad year for tomatoes everywhere. :(

Lovely photos. I like a "real" camera too, although I never seem happy with the quality of photos I get. Often too grainy, although I admit I'm usually stuck with "cheap" cameras.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes those people I know we're having a tough time with tomatoes at least are lemon cucumbers doing well! This camera is fairly old about 10 years or more but it's a good ne, hanging on so far

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Nancy, this is the first time I've heard of cutting back the tomato foliage! Not that I'm much of an expert on tomatoes, but I do manage to get a plant or two into the ground most years, so I'm eager to go out tomorrow morning and do this!

Arun Goyal said...

Wow ! I wish we could grow blackberry here its drool worthy.Thanks for linking up with Garden Affair . It would be my pleasure if you keep on continuing linking with Garden Affair .

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Jean, glad to help! Good look with a quicker ripening!

Arun, thanks, they are quite juicy and great for eating!

DVArtist said...

Ohh lots of tomatoes. I too have tons of toms that are green. I live in Florence, OR the weather is much cooler with ocean marine layers and wind. I am hoping with time they will ripen. Your grandson is a cutie.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes we're hoping for a good harvest! I live in in Oregon for several decades and Florence has a gorgeous area. Yes lots of cooler air and hopefully your air is clean, ours is pretty Smokey from the fires in California. Thanks River is a blast!

Lisa said...

I leave my tomato leaves be. They shade the fruit from scalding sun. Plus, removing the leaves can actually decrease the taste and sweetness, as the leaves are responsible for most of the photosynthesis (converting sunlight into sugars).

I read you can encourage ripening by continuing to remove the side shoots, and cut back at the main point around now. I won't, I have a lot of time left before frost. It's sunshine that ripens tomatoes, it's ethylene gas.

Of course, do what works for your tomatoes! It's certainly not one side fits all in the garden! I'd suggest anyone wanting to try it though, to only do one and see how it works.

Nancy In Boise said...

Hi Lisa, So far they're ripening faster already and taste great! We' done this before, with no ill effects. They also get some afternoon shade from our huge maple tree. thanks

Powell River Books said...

We are coming up to the end of our prime blackberry picking season, but there are still some tasty ones on the vines that are all over town and into the countryside. - Margy

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes I think we have a few more weeks as well now I think things will wind down oh, I'm trying to freeze as many as I can for the winter, great for baked goods!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...