Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Aug 9, 2020

Independence Days Challenge





Independence Days Challenge
Here's what we've been up to! It's been water, water water, at least we're out of the triple digits!

1. Plant Something- Nope, past that time. 

2. Harvest Something- Yellow Gypsy/bell peppers, Lemon cukes, tomatoes, yellow squash, pickling cukes (just eating, not enough to ferment), slicing cukes, Blackberries, no pears yet, small amount of apples soon-  

You can see why they call them "Lemon" cucumbers!

3. Preserve/Store Something- Will be drying some yellow squash. Have been buying low priced chicken parts and freezing. 

4. Manage Reserves- Get a Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep- Bought some Elderberry syrup to stash for the upcoming flu/Covid season. Buying sale price chicken, sausages. I realized I didn't have a summer twin quilt for our bed. After Grandson River spent the night I got a great deal, $20.00 at Walmart, light teal, basket weave design, but what's that lump?



 Anya burrowed down, taking a nap!



5. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipe- Tonight I made a BBQ Chicken Salad, see recipe below. I bought Orange Poppyseed dressing, used breasts with ribs (more flavor) and used regular bacon. Yummy, sorry no photo! This is from a recipe I saw online and modified- 

Part 1-



Part 2-

6. Build Community Food Systems- Contacted a local peach farm to find out about buying some ripe peaches. I'm looking for some to eat, freeze and make some jams. 

7. Recycle/Re-Use- I deep cleaned/recycled/donated old DVDs, CD cases, and freed up quite a few really nice baskets! My daughter is taking them home to use-



The space freed up in our one entertainment cabinet now has room for our emergency lighting- candles, batteries, oil lamps-




I found this at a thrift store, love it!




Love the basket of eggs on the cork screw tail-



8. Skill Up- Found an easy/cheap way to solve a tech issue, more later ! 

9. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something- Last year Dave got an old free metal bookcase from work going to the dumpster, we adopted, a good size for the grand kids toy, etc. in our spare bedroom-



It's probably about 40 years old. I decided once the weather warmed up to paint it. Dave had bought some wholesale industrial spray paint (Ford blue) and we had it in our stash. I thought it would work well with our decor. Dave took it outside to paint and set up saw horses for me. I washed it down with Dawn and hot water first, rinsed well-
  
Two shelves

Bookcase



 I started spraying!


About four cans of spray paint later-


I love it!!! I bought 2 bins at Lakeshore Learning for $8.00 each, great storage-



Dave built some bird houses in the winter, I finally finished this one. He started with used cedar fence boards we had-




  I tried spray paint, not enough coverage-


I bought a small can of white house paint in a sample isze-


 Much better coverage-





I used our blue house trim paint we already had for the accents- 





Ready for some birds!

Re-painted part of my winter snowman sign-

pretty beat up from the weather, was thrifted




Since I can't draw I decided to touch it up, as much as possible-

I went around the buttons

 I realized after closer inspection there had been red cheeks and a mouth, re-painted that as well as I could. Come November I'll buy some red and green Christmas holly fabric to replace the strips that were on the arms. Otherwise all done and ready for winter!




5 comments:

Goatldi said...

Great storage for the Grandboys things. I love the primary colors. I painted my sons nursery in them . Cute bird house.

You have been busy!

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes we've been busy! Luckily the weather has been warm so I could do a lot of painting outside. Primary colors are fun I do have a really pale yellow wall color with a lot of white in it because they won't be kids forever! And they only come over periodically but it is good to have lots of storage for miscellaneous stuff.

Goatldi said...

As Grammie to four mischief is a rule not and exception. So the more stuff the better!😊

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes so true

Rain said...

Hi Nancy :) I love that you have a special spot for emergency lighting, how smart is that? The lemon cukes are very yella!!! Anya is so cute burrowing, the only one who does that regularly here is Jack! Great job on the blue shelf! And I love that little pig!! That bird house looks fabulous, you've been busy! :) I will not comment on your snowman because knowing my luck it will bring me an early winter lol! (but it is cute!!) :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...