Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Apr 22, 2020

Happy Earth Day! Investing Money For Homesteading/Life


Happy Earth Day! 



Investing Money For Homesteading/Life-
Dave and I are blessed to be working (from home) and I get paid on the low work days when I'm not needed. With our "stimulus money" I had been thinking ahead to some home/homestead investments we might do. I'll add here, I don't get any kickbacks from these company's, just sharing where I bought them.

First- I was lucky to be able to do an out of state library loan of the Retrosuburbia book last year. I could only keep it for two weeks, way too short!  At $85.00 I couldn't justify buying it at the time. Recently I found out they have a U.S. distributor and the author lowered the price during Covid times for more access. I ordered a copy today for $62.00 as a "investment". It's worth every penny in my opinion. The author David Holmgren is a very well-versed Permaculture teacher and innovator. The book is filled with amazing color photos, diagrams and info for the beginner and more! They have a great Facebook page under the same name, great before and after projects, lots of new members, great advice, all free. Check out the great book trailer here-


Description from US.permacultureprinciples.com where you can buy the book- This 592 page manual shows how people can downshift and retrofit their homes, gardens, communities and, above all, themselves to be more self-organized, sustainable and resilient into an uncertain future. It promises a challenging but exciting mix of satisfying work, a more meaningful way of living and hope for the next generation. Holmgren has written the book deliberately with an southern Australian focus, drawing heavily on his own direct experience. The concepts and actions can be applied in most suburban environments. RetroSuburbia is divided into three main sections: the Built, the Biological and the Behavioral along with the introductory section ‘Setting the scene’.

Next on the list- I been wanting a garden hod (basket)  for washing our home grown produce outside. Keeps the soil out of the kitchen! I'd seen some wood ones, most very expensive. Making one wasn't in the cards right now, time constraints. I found this one, which is collapsible, and love the design! $30.00 for the medium size. I bought at Gardeners.com, I've bought a few odd things over the years with good quality. Three colors to choose from-


Next on the list- Our one bedroom is the last one to not have insulated curtains. We have wide, heavy plastic blinds that came with the house. I added a soft sheer curtain as a swag to soften it-


After spending about 3 hours online I decided to get these insulated curtains. This is the same company that we've bought all our other curtains from. They last for years, wash well, hang to dry on the rod. They have a great bonded lining, unlike cheaper ones. I found this pattern, to soften up the room. It'll will be much shorter to fit the window. With light sage green walls, ditto sage carpeting, and white trim, I wanted something light with a floral pattern. I found cream with blue flowers, a nice design.  It will keep the room much cooler in the summer, and warmer in the winter. The room faces East and South, on a corner. After pictures coming soon!


We'd already bought two more grow lights, to add to our bedroom mini greenhouse, which has been great. Seeds started on the top shelf with old lights doing well- 





These peppers took 5 weeks to sprout!!! 

Knowing there might be a run on some veggie starts later I found some various tomatoes, peppers and Nasturtiums today.  I bought these from a local feed supply store D and B Supply  I even found a pony pack with four tall tomatoes for $3.00!


Since it's too cold to put plant I added them to the mini greenhouse, tucked in warm and cozy, under the two new lights. We'll wait a few more weeks til it warms up to move outside-


I planted my slicing cucumber seeds and added those, using a recycled milk jug bottom-


There's a few other random things I'm thinking of to "invest" in. Still adding more dry goods, like beans, which have been hard to find. I FINALLY found yeast last week! Score! I can finally make some yeast breads. I'll be stocking up on canning supplies as well, who knows how the food chain will go out a ways?

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Seems to be there's no better place to put any extra money right now than into your infrastructure that will enable you to be more self-reliant and more secure during whatever changes in our economy may be coming.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes Mama I thought hard and came up with that as well!

Goatldi said...

Good post! Love the curtains. I am blessed to have only one remaining large move in project left. The whole house generator is being installed as I type. The next and last is the pressure washing of the log cabin replacing any compromised logs and then staining the whole exterior. Good for another ten years.

Now I can focus on garden and pantry I am so excited!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks, I look forward to getting the curtains up! Sounds like you're busy, good projects!!!

Leigh said...

Excellent investment ideas! We've always figured investing in our ability to be more self-reliant was the best investment, and this whole virus thing has showed us we were right.

The book sounds extremely interesting. If our library ever opens up again, I'll have to see if I can borrow a copy.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes Leigh you guys are a great example of being very resilient! The book is really great and gave me tons of ideas however after two weeks of giving it back I lost most of it out of my brain! I was really thrilled they lowered the price to it used to be $85.

Laurie said...

We too are starting seedlings and enjoying watching them grow.

It’s nice to see little bits of progress—whether it’s in the garden or in the home, isn’t it?

Thanks for coming by the homestead blog hop!

Come. by again!

Laurie
Ridge Haven Homestead

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Laurie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...