Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Oct 29, 2019

Bathroom Remodel Part Two, Record Cold-16 Degrees Tomorrow Morning!



Bathroom Remodel Part Two-
I took a vacation yesterday to be home for the flooring installer. So far our bathroom remodel is going smoothly! After emptying everything out I went ahead and started on the prep for painting. There were some nail holes, a few little indentations but the primary work was for the area where the sheet rock have been damaged removing the back splash. When I installed the back splash I used construction adhesive, thinking  it would be a much longer before we remodeled. Prepping the damaged sheet rock I basically did two things, spackled to smooth everything out and then used a texturizing spray. I've done plenty of spackling and Dave had used the spray so I knew what to expect. I did the spackling, got things fairly smooth, let it dry I came back then sanded. I and did a little more sparkling in a few other areas as well. Here's the 1st spackling-


 Next the texturing spray applied, dries white-


We used Homax Wall Texture spray, about $10.00, used 3/4 of the can-



It's a great idea to warm up the can  of texturizing spray. The sounds kind of funny but it's actually on the directions. I put the can in a pitcher of very warm (not hot) water. I went outside and practiced on a piece of cardboard. I textured the sheet rock as best as I could to match. I had already decided to not worry about getting a perfect match on 45 year old sheet rock! One of my saving graces is that the IKEA cabinets are taller than American cabinets by a couple of inches. With the thick porcelain counter top / sink I didn't have to repair/match quite as much ,since some of it wouldn't show. I worked on starting to paint the bathroom while that dried. Here you can see the old, lighter blue and the new darker blue/gray


The ceiling was a dirty looking light brown (smoke stains?) all painted! I was going to do the ceiling in a bright white, but decided to go for simple, one color! It's Ace Hardware's Bouyant Blue-


With our LED lighting in the bathroom, and no window, it may look different in my photos. I tried to color correct, but hard to match sometimes-


I painted the ceiling first, then worked on the walls and a brush work. Since we were replacing the flooring you didn't have to worry about dripping on it,  I did put down a tarp to protect the carpeted area going into the bedroom-


Next I painted the re-textured area to see how it would look. I still wasn't very happy with it ,but the good news is you can use it over paint. I textured again and let that dry. I  took a break to start some split pea soup with ham for dinner. It came out great and we had cheddar biscuits with it, yum on a cold night! After dinner I went back to check the area since it had dried and went ahead and did another coat of paint. It looks a lot better which I was happy with! Again I had decided to sort of live with whatever wasn't totally perfect. I know I'm a bit OCD, ha ha, and have a tendency to focus on one little tiny area on the wall. I must say I really love the wall color, a soft blue with gray which was a very hard color to find.






After dinner we got the rack over the toilet, new white exhaust vent cover and medicine cabinet hung back up-


I wanted to give the thrifted rack above a fresh coat of white paint but it was way too cold outside, maybe in the spring, it's easy to take down. We kept the light fixture since it was in great shape and I like it-


The new vinyl plank flooring is called Rockport, as close to gray as we could get, wish it was a little lighter, but it works. It's grayer in natural light-


Ikea cabinet is in place, Dave's finishing the plumbing hook up-


New toilet!


Currently our house really looks like a bomb went off since we had to move a lot of the furniture out of our two spare bedrooms to get the carpet re-stretched while our flooring guy was here. We basically had to empty the bedrooms as much as possible. There a lot of places that charge an arm and a leg to do that, but since we already had him working on a job here he didn't charge us very much. I love working with small local businesses since their customer service is so much better!




Watch for the full bathroom reveal this weekend!!!



Record Cold-16 Degrees Tomorrow Morning!
It was 23 degrees yesterday morning, with a high of 31, so cold and gray! Today was 30 when I got off work. Tomorrow morning the forecast is 16 degrees, a possible record cold. This is WAY too early! We haven't drained our pond yet, so that will be fun. We brought in our pumpkin and Mum off the front porch so they wouldn't freeze solid. Anya is laying in front of the kitchen heater next to me, and the heat's on in the coop. Luckily my hens Ellie and Rosie are almost done molting! I hope this isn't a sign of things to come! We're ready, glad I bought the extra heavy comforter!

12 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I need to have my husband watch your bathroom remodel. Our remodel has been on hold since last winter (yikes!). We need to get back to it. It's gonna start to get cold here too. Can't wait to see the bathroom when it's done.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes sometimes visuals help! This weekend it should be all wrapped up...

Mama Pea said...

You two (with a little outside help) are remodeling dynamos! Seems the bathroom redo/remodel has progressed quickly. Again, your temps seem colder than ours. We had low, low 20s at 5:30 this morning . . . our lowest so far this season. We were outside most of the day yesterday and it was C-H-I-L-L-Y all day. It will be time for you to snuggled under that comforter before you know it!

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes everything went fairly smoothly once we got everything removed. There were a few minor Plumbing challenges but really everything went very quickly. Luckily I married a very handy kind of guy and he did a lot of research before he started the project. And yes we've been using the comforter already haha. We had a very cool fall so far since October can usually be pretty warm and even hot! 17 degrees this morning and it is cold but at least it will be sunny today

Susan said...

Your remodel looks wonderful - I love the paint color! I cannot believe that you are having such cold weather already!! It can sure wait to arrive here. I'm not ready!!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks! It's a nice calm, coastal color for me. Not ready here either but back in the 50s this weekend!

Cockeyed Jo said...

16 degrees, better you than me. BRRR! I've often thought about redoing my bathroom, but that's as far as I've gotten in this trailer. I'm thinking it would it will be easier to build a new tiny house than rebuilding/fixing someone else's revamp. It's a plumbing nightmare!

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes cold! Doing research is always key. Do what you can, get help for the rest...

Faith said...

I was reading another blog, and you had made a comment about Indian pudding. I've not ever heard of it, can you tell me more about it. Thank you. We need a bathroom redo, it's pretty beaten up. Afraid what they will find when the walls and flooring come up, extra costs. Need new everything. We've lived here 25 years, and all we've done is paint ( taken down wallpaper).

Nancy In Boise said...

Hi Faith, thanks for your comments. Indian pudding is a traditional Native American Thanksgiving pudding. If you look in the search bar on the right side of my blog and type in Indian pudding it should pull up a post with the recipe. It's basically milk eggs cornmeal raisins molasses and some other spices. Yes bathroom redos are challenging but you don't want to be living in a house if there is a lot of mold and mildew under there. When we did our master bathroom there was mold and luckily we were able to treat it ourselves pretty inexpensively. Itvpays to do lots and lots of research ahead of time, good luck!

Lisa L Lombardo said...

Hi Nancy!
Looking forward to the big reveal! Thanks for sharing your progress on Farm Fresh Tuesdays!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks sorry would have responded sooner but your comment went into my spam folder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...