Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Oct 16, 2011

Thrifty Items and Grandma's Quilt's Up

Thrift Items- Someone asked a good question on the thread I started at MJF message board about thrifting, "What's Your Latest Find?":  how do you keep your purchases in check? Here's my answer-

 I keep my purchases in check by being REALLY selective about what I buy. I don't get into the pack rat mode, or like to over decorate. Some people have collections (some seen in MJF magazine) that would make me feel claustrophobic. Ever inch covered with something. I clean out my closets and decorations every year or so. I come from more of a voluntary simplicity mode. When we downsized our home after our 3 kids went off to college, I had to really purge things. It was actually a relief to have so much less. We actually are starting to have empty garage shelves, I love it! I try to remember that I own my stuff, my stuff doesn't own me. I also have sold things of value on eBay and made money, so I scored twice!
Here's my summer thrift store score, when I was thinking ahead  of cozying up on the couch in the winter-

The sage green, and deep blue go great with the couch and the rest of the room, $1.50 each for two.

I picked this up yesterday for $2.00 my spare bedroom-




Grandma's Quilt- Dave, my husband, kindly put up a rod I got yesterday at a discount store ($4.00) to display my Grandma's quilt. Looks great! I think Grandma would be happy it's around in the new millennium...


2 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

What great deals you got. I love the your quilt too.

Candy C. said...

Great finds! Love the way you displayed Grandma's quilt! :) Mine is just on a quilt rack in the hall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...