Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Feb 1, 2021

Making Irish Ballycotton Fish Chowder & Spotted Dog Soda Bread

Photo from cookbook 

Making Irish Ballycotton Fish Chowder & Spotted Dog Soda Bread-
I'm part Scotch/Irish and have wanted to explore some traditional cooking.  I'd run across some recipes by the author Rachel Allen with some really classic Irish Family Foods, but ones that were a bit healthier-


I bought a used copy of her book on eBay. After browsing a bit the first one I decided to try was her Ballycotton Fish Chowder (named after her village).  I really liked the fact it didn't have just dairy is the base for the liquid since Dave and I have to take it easy with dairy products. It has a lot of chicken stock in the chowder, but no chicken flavor. This was actually a fairly inexpensive dish to make. I did use some smoked salmon that I found on sale, ditto some small salmon fillets and the Whiting fish I used is also pretty reasonable. We already had some bacon in the freezer, milk, fresh herbs and potatoes. I made a double batch so we'd have some leftovers. I was really tempted to put in some finely diced celery and carrots but decided to follow the recipe instead. This is hands-down the best seafood soup I have ever made ! It was actually pretty easy just a lot of dicing of the potatoes. Really wonderful flavor, cook's pretty fast since you're cooking small pieces of fish. The recipes pretty flexible too.  I used Whiting because it was easy to find but you could use the other recipes listed like the Pollock, Haddock or Cod listed. Garnish with crispy bacon and fresh herbs! Nice on a chilly night! 


 I also wanted to try Rachel's recipe for Spotted Dog Soda Bread  which is basically Irish soda bread with raisins. Hers is a little bit different because it does not use any butter, which is very traditional. Instead she uses an egg. I did substitute 1 cup of WW Pastry flour for the white flour, a little healthier! Next time will use just the WW. The bread had a nice crunchy exterior and very, very moist inside. It also keeps really well. I had a slice today with my morning tea break and it was great! I'm looking forward to trying more of her recipes. 


7 comments:

Endah Murniyati said...

yummy...

Mama Pea said...

A great time of year for doing culinary experimentation! For a while now I've been eating everything that didn't eat me first, but starting a couple of days ago I've really cut down and been very aware of what I'm putting in my mouth. I've realized it's so, so easy to consume way too many calories, many more than I need.

I recently found a great fish chowder recipe also. I used to make soda bread quite frequently and now I just may pull out the recipe since yours looks so good!

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes it is! Thanks for stopping by

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Mama! Yes Dave and I are actually eating less and just making better choices . I do like Irish soda bread since it's so easy in this recipe was a little bit faster since I didn't have to cut in the butter

Rain said...

Oh that chowder looks AMAZING....I haven't had a good fish chowder in ages. I used to make soda bread, but I find it's too dry for me now!

Tarahlynn said...

Looks delicious! Thank you for sharing with us at the To Grandma's house we go link party - you're going to be featured!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...