Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Apr 16, 2020

Online Shopping Alternatives


Online Shopping Alternatives-
Like many people many of our local stores are shut down where I usually shop. Places like Ross, a discount store, where I usually find great deals on bedding, clothes, etc. for great prices. All our thrift stores have been shut down, not an alternative either.  We're doing lots of repairing, re-using, re-purposing as well, but that's our normal mode! Dave's favorite coffee tumbler lost it's rubber bottom today. I glued it back on! Obviously there are tons of other great online shopping places, I'll mention just a few I've used. There's a few local stores that I don't feel comfortable shopping at right now. We've been doing some online shopping at Amazon for certain specific items like specific clothing, small electronics that died, etc. I thought I'd share with you a couple of different online places that have worked out really well! After placing an order on Amazon, a week and a half went by with nothing shipped. I'm sure they're overloaded. I decided to see what my other options were. I canceled my Amazon order. I decided to try Target.com since they ship. My experience was that their website was pretty slow relative to others. I was really happy with being able to order some items, shipping is free over $35 and was delivered in 3 days. Looks like the warehouse it came from for us was in California.


I was running out of my turmeric supplement that we usually get from Costco. It works great for my arthritis! I was trying to figure out how to get more. Costco has been mobbed and neither of us wanted to go in there unless it's really important. One item for me did not constitute important. I decided to look on their website, I was able to order it, get it delivered to the house in about three business days! Free shipping, same price as the store, a win-win. I did notice Costco has listed that you can order groceries and have them delivered within 2 business days. I'm not sure how that works. This is only for Costco members.


Another place I've used for years is Overstock.com. It's free shipping all the time, for everything. I've bought all kinds of things there, great prices. I've never had a problem with any orders. We were down to our last set of cotton sheets and I had gotten Eddie Bauer's percale sheet there before. I LOVE their sheets!!! I love percale sheets because they're crisp and cool in the summer and they last a long time. I looked there but couldn't find any patterns I liked, so I bought a set of Nautica percale sheets. I don't mind spending more for some things because they last longer. They have soft navy blue stripes, reminds me of batik a bit-




I've shopped, and sold, on eBay for years! I recently got a great, like new, hardback cookbook for $3.00, free shipping. This will give me some new ideas for cooking while in lock down mode. You can buy everything under the sun there, just check reviews on seller first-



FYI, I have read recently that Ikea US is having issues with people getting notification from them on their online orders, no feedback, nothing arriving. This is on their Facebook and Twitter accounts. I'd steer clear of them for now. Hopefully they will resolve their issues soon, as I have a few things I'd like to order!



Hope you all are happy and healthy and hanging in there through all of this. 


6 comments:

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Thank you for telling us about the other options for ordering online. I think that if you have a Prime membership, it just becomes automatic to order there. Once anything becomes automatic, we need to reevaluate. ~smile~
Be blessed!
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
Southern Missouri USA

Goatldi said...

Good resource! Thank great finds.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes I have refused to join Prime since they charge a membership fee. Most of my orders have free shipping anyway and I don't need any more viewing on their Channel! Watching too much TV is it is haha

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks! Yes it's always good to shop around just really missing the thrift stores, and I'm just storing my donations for now

Goatldi said...

Me too! Thrift stores supply a large part of my clothing. Especially nice when you are in an area that has one that people of whim live . They buy often and either never wear ( I have purchased items with tags still on them) or wear once or so. I have found a lot of Coldwater Cleek at I fraction of the original cost.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes me too, about 1/2 or more of my clothes are used/thrifted or from eBay. Ditto home decor, tools, etc. As we speak I'm wearing an LL Bean women's flannel shirt I bought a few years ago from eBay, for 1/4 of the new price! I've also got expensive shoes, new (Haflinger) for 1/3 new. I LOVE Coldwater Creek. Really bummed when they closed their outlet store near here years ago...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...