Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Mar 25, 2019

Thrifting Scores! DIY Lawn Thatching, Ski Soup for A Wet Day, Dark Chocolate Steel Cut Oatmeal Biscuits


Thrifting Scores!
I hit two thrift stores and a clearance store this weekend. I hadn't been out thrifting for a while and got some great deals! Here's the first thing, a solar garden lamp jar, added new re-chargeable battery, will see if it works, $3.00-


Next two brand new spring work blouses, a new athletic jacket for spring walks, total $15.00. I found an old silver plated (?) teapot, $2.00. Top photo, was filthy inside, but two efferdent took care most of that. Then I scrubbed with a soapy bottle brush. It's a bit rusty, so I don't know that I will use it for brewing. Probably holds about 3 cups of tea. Next, I found this pretty glazed egg, $1.50, lovely crazing on the finish-


A book/photo holder, $1.50, great for my smaller cookbooks-


For spring, a bunny spoon rest $2.00-



Bought two new bath hand towels/wash clothes, $5.00 total, new shower curtain liner, $3.00, shower mat $3.00.  Sorry no photos. I bought a nice sized, cheap plastic faux terracotta pot for the back deck, $5. I will probably plant some extra herbs in it since they usually do better in pots. Scored a cute little mini camping-style candle holder, $1.50. Overfilled with wax, but lots of hot water cleaned it up. Perfect for my summer camping vignette-


Bought 2 heavy, recycled tire rubber mats for deck pots.  $2.00 each. I will probably hang them on the fence for yard art! 




All in all, great deals!!!




DIY Lawn Thatching-
After looking at rentals to thatch our lawn Dave and I decided we might as well buy our own thatching rake. They are a really great tool when you have a relatively small area of turf. Thatch is basically the dried bits of turf/ dead leaves//debris that falls down into your lawn. It can interfere with the absorption of water and fertilizers. In a really hot, dry climate like ours it's good that thatch it periodically. It has a nice wooden handle and very sharp blades. Stores easily, a lot easier than trying to rent a big machine and get it to and from the rental place. For $35 it will certainly pay for itself in  a few years. More to come, got rained out Sunday!






Ski Soup for A Wet Day-
I was in the mood for some soup this weekend. I made this before, very nice! It's  E-i-e-i-omg Blog  I did modify a bit.  I don't use "condensed soups", too much sodium and fillers. I used about 7 cups of organic beef broth, an onion, thyme, garlic powder, some Worcestershire and a bay leaf.  I browned the beef in a little oil, then tossed in the tomato paste. Once coated I put the browned beef in the crock pot. I added the rest of the ingredients and put on high for about 3 hours. Last time I made this I served it with Easy Beer Bread Great stuff, so I made a loaf, beer bread came out super moist-


When I was making the soup I got out my homemade clotted cream. Smeared a little on couple of lemon shortbread cookies. OMG, so good!



Dark Chocolate Steel Cut Oatmeal Biscuits-
I made a double batch of these this weekend and they are wonderful! Not very sweet, chewy with the steel cut oats and moist. Make a double batch because they don't last! Recipe here Dark Chocolate Steel Cut Oatmeal Biscuits. These are great for anytime and keep well. Enjoy!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...