Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Mar 11, 2018

Spring Is Here & New Garden Fun/Land Grab, Laziness = Thrifting Deals!




Spring Is Here & Garden Fun/Land Grab- 
Wow, it was in the low 60' today! While it still cool at night, the days are longer, and warmer. With daylight savings time gone into affect, we'll have even lighter evenings. Not happy about driving to work in the dark, again! Bulbs are coming up, tress are starting to bud. Great timing for the garden, and Dave bought me a surprise gift at Costco! It's a large outdoor wind spinner! I wanted one for Mother's Day last year, didn't get one, so Dave bought me one this year. It's in our backyard, love it!


One side dark copper

Other side dark copper/ silver-ish

We have had an unusual gardening/landscaping situation come up with the county widening our street. Basically we will lose two feet of our front property line facing the street  so that they can put in new sidewalks. On our street there are some sections with sidewalks, and some of the older sections are without. It will be a neighborhood improvement project. We think it's a great idea although some of the other neighbors aren't happy. We think it's nice for a side street to have safe sidewalks for residents and their children to walk on instead of having to dodge cars. We knew this was coming and get the paperwork today and will be receiving a nice chunk of money  in exchange for basically selling that area to the county. They will replace any fencing that has to be removed (then replaced) and our mailbox/post. We will use part of the money to replace plants in that section of the front yard. The nice thing is we were wanting to change a few things anyway. Since everything costs money we had put that on hold for a while.  We will find out soon when the project will actually start but we were thinking it's next winter. We'll call and find out the exact timing. 

As for spring, there's St. Patrick's day too! I bought a big slab of corned beef for next weekend, and a little something from Hobby Lobby, with more of the decor going up today-




Laziness = Thrifting Deals! 
I have always found great clothing deals at thrift stores, but there's one odd thing. When it comes to clothing I can't imagine that people are just so lazy. I have found items with missing buttons, only to find an extra button inside the garment. I have found things with very light stains that came right out with a simple stain removing spray. I found  very expensive down vest with a small 3" seam that had a gap, paid $4.00, sewed it closed, like new. I recently found these great jeans, fit perfect but the hems were all ragged. Someone's pants were obviously way too long, they walked around in them and ripped them all up. I bought them, measured them, and hemmed them up. Maybe 15 to 30 minutes tops, then washed. Now I basically have great jeans that I am currently wearing. I guess there's some people that didn't learn how to do any kind of basic sewing/clothing maintenance whether they are male or female? I know sometimes that I think Americans are basically lazy- mentally, emotionally, and physically. I guess I just don't get it. Maybe since I grew up hearing stories of the depression, and I take pride in my skill set, it bothers me. It does make for great shopping however! After shot-



6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

You forget, we are a throw-away society! And isn't it sad? I think you're right in that very few people have the basic skills needed to sew or repair things let alone have any degree of self-sufficiency at all. Arrgh, upsets me to talk about it, so I'll stop.

Love the whirl-a-gig thingie your husband got for you. Things like that add interest and a personal touch to our homes.

Enjoy your spring weather. We've still got a while to wait for ours. :o)

Nancy In Boise said...

thanks Mama, we do have some rain on the way soon and that fits in with this weather and will help things green up.

kristen said...

I really like your wind spinner! What a sweet gift from your husband :)

Susan said...

What a great addition to your garden! That will bring a smile every time you see it! I bet the 'girls' are fascinated... I am so disheartened to see time, after time, examples of our throw-away society. Apparently, everyone thinks there is an "away" to which all this junk goes. There is no "away". I have found so many great items of clothing and housewares in thrift stores that have been tossed once the previous owners were tired of them.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes it was a very great surprise!

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes I wonder if the chickens will get dizzy watching that spin around haha? Yes we are very throwaway Society sadly and there's so much we could learn from other countries about that

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...