Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jan 31, 2017

How I Grocery Shop


How I Grocery Shop-
I was just reading Margo's post here How I Grocery Shop and it got me thinking. I realized I actually have developed a pretty systematic way of shopping. It's also flexible! Here's the basics of what I currently do, which has evolved over the years...

When our family was younger I used to go grocery shopping with our three girls. I had a system with them, a reward when we got home IF they did a good job. Worked great! My kids NEVER thru a fit in the store, whined or begged! Dave and I always focused on good manners and work ethic. Now with just the two of us I shop primarily once a week on the weekend. I go to a low cost "bag your own" grocery store, with an excellent bulk section. I will point out- we don't eat meat every day, as some do. I don't buy ground meats much (never beef) for instance, except once in a while. Mostly turkey for tacos or Italian sausage for pasta sauce. I'd rather buy whole meats that are lean, with less waste. We eat a certain amount of vegetarian foods, healthier and cheaper. I always have a running list on our fridge for needed items. I go to a "grocery outlet" where I buy artisan breads, coffees, Keurig pods, a few organic frozen lunches and other foods about once a month. We got to Costco once a month (maybe), mostly for cat litter, supplements, and other specific items. I go to Trade Joe's once a month, again just specific items. They are all close to work or home, except Costco. I never use coupons. I just never saw huge savings, but I do buy a lot of what's marked down and I'm a good cook. I also freeze a lot of sale items. I just roasted a chicken I bought at the height of last summer's low prices. I also can/freeze our own fruits/veggies from our home garden. I just made a big pot of pasta sauce with quartered, frozen fresh tomatoes. Awesome! We're looking into buying a 1/4 of a local steer, grass fed/organic thru my hubbies co-worker. I need to have him break down the per Lb. dressed/packaged price to see if it's a good deal or not. My shopping is always flexible, since I may find a better deal on something unplanned, so I can change my menu as needed. I saw a new recipe for a Orange Mustard Pork Tenderloin I wanted to try. I bought pork chops instead, since they're much cheaper here.


Costco can be a bad idea, if you don't shop smart. Many of their food items are actually higher than where I normally shop. Bigger packages aren't always the way to go! They also sell a lot of junk foods. Some items there you can really save on. Sadly they were way behind the trend of selling more whole grain, and healthy foods. I do know our medium-sized chest freezer (from Costco!) has really paid for itself the last several years. I freeze breads, meats, butter, cheese, fruits, veggies, and a few quick dinners. Something like a $5.00 frozen French Tart pizza from Trader Joe's topped with my fresh eggs and a salad is a quick, easy low-cost work night dinner. I buy my Tea's primarily at Cost Plus World Market, better deals, and a better selection. We rarely ever drink alcohol, so nothing spent there. I think a lot of people spend a HUGE amount of money on alcohol sadly. I heard on the news today that the day after the Super Bowl is being considered for a holiday?  Super Bowl Holiday? Wow. Maybe people should drink less and go to work. Unless you're travelling out of state, I don't get it, or plan ahead and take a vacation day. Weird. Anyway those are my habits that seem to work! I'm sure they will continue to evolve over time. What do you do to eat healthy and save money???

5 comments:

Goatldi said...

Nice system. Sounds like mine. Here it is Trader Joe's weekly or bi weekly, Costco once a month unless it can't be avoided. I only buy large things there. Like the kennel pack of dog cookies, the 5 pd. bags of peanuts (goat treats) and so forth. I agree totally discrimination of items is essential to not going home with a canoe or kayak. I also have become a Grocery Outlet groupie. Again buy what you need not what is there that week and looks good. A list is essential but only works if you remember to take it!

I have purchased beef (which we rarely eat anymore but I am deaf on grass fed and an owner I personally know) in 1/4 1/2 and a whole . The later only when I had two teenagers under one roof. But my motto where meat of any kind is concerned eat less buy the best. The best is what you find important in a product. I buy organic as much as my dollar and the offerings allow. However there are only two of us now and with my hubby being a chronic cancer patient our consumption is even less then before.

I do can and we have a nice garden in the summer. We have raised dairy goats for 32 years so just about all of our dairy is our personal animals. We have chickens and I love to barter with for those things I don't have but need.

Love your blog keep up the good work!

Leigh said...

We just found out that it's not "Super Bowl Sunday," it's now "Super Bowl Weekend." Really? Superbowl is that important?

Good shopping plan, Nancy. With growing more of our own food, I'm relieved to say I buy less at the grocery store. Our Grocery Outlet went under, which is sad, but we have a new "Deal Mart" (or something like that) which does the same thing. Other than that it's Aldi (which is owned by the same company that owns Trader Joes - which is not close by enough to shop at regularly). Walmart is the next cheapest, but I really don't like to shop there.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks, and I like the eat less and buy the best motto!

Nancy In Boise said...

I hate walmart and rarely go there. Our local winco is a coop, employers own it.

Anonymous said...

It's really a cool and helpful piece of info.
I am glad that you shared this useful information with us.
Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...