Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Oct 26, 2014

Winter's Coming, A Little Halloween Fun!, Crabby Dinner


Winter's Coming-
We're in for our frost frost tonite! A cold front blew in with some rain and wind yesterday and today. Feels like early winter. I had Dave take the bottom coop screen panel off, and replace with the glass panel to warm up the coop. I covered up all my herbs with blankets for the night. I'm hoping my tomatoes pull thru with no covers, if not they're all green anyway. More fall here-

 leaves coming down all around

Anya after she got up off the heating vent, big stretch.....

These are 3 fun goodies I found at Target- loved the birds, and got the battery candle lamp


A Little Halloween Fun!-
Last weekend we got our outdoor Halloween decor up. We don't have many tricksters here, so we keep it pretty simple. Some fun things inside too. Here's my fave door hanger-



Crabby Dinner-
I made my new recipe for stuffed crab rolls again. Delish! This time I used ciabatta rolls and added roasted red peppers. I served with it our ripe tomatoes, green beans and basil from the garden. Home canned nectarines on the side. I had my first ever Cherokee Purple tomatoes. Interesting flavor, very mild and light on the acid. Good for a chilly night... Since we're getting 2 eggs a day (finally) I made a big garden frittata last night. Oh my, the eggs and cheese were heavenly! Tonite I made a big nectarine crumble. Great stuff!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

We are only getting one to two a day also since my chickens are molting. Today was our first chilly day of the season. Winter is on its way.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We are only getting 2-3 eggs a day, and I have 14 hens. I am sure they need heat and light on these cooler days here.

Susan said...

Your Anya is so photogenic! Alas, I am getting 0 eggs - I might have to add a light in the coop to remind them what the nesting boxes are for! Those stuffed crab rolls look delicious!

Unknown said...

Thanks all. I've had 0 fresh eggs for almost 2 years due to the death and/or retirement of my older hens. The 3 pullets are finally kicking in laying wise. It's been really sunny til late, so no lights yet, but soon... Yes Anya is a ham...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...