Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jan 3, 2014

Clean Up And Organizing, On Risking and Trying


Clean Up And Organizing-
I've been... deep cleaning the kitchen, cleaned and organized the junk drawer, and tackled the pantry closet today. I try to catch up on stuff while I'm on winter/spring break. Some vacation, but I like starting the new year clean and organized! Anya was fascinated when I was cleaning out the junk drawer! She climbed in the drawer hole, while I had the drawer on the counter top. While I was adding some small re-used cardboard boxes, and dumped the trash, she explored-

What's this pasta doing here?

Rice, what's that?

And what's that?

When I was done I opened the cabinet door, and slowly put in the drawer. Not a good idea. Anya could get her head out from below, but that was it. So, drawer back out, I shook the kitty treat bag and out she came :) She loves to eat. Drawer back in, all done. 



On Risking and Trying-
I was talking with a good friend yesterday about being who we truly are, living an authentic life. We agreed it's hard to do when you're always worried about other's expectations- family, job, kids, spouses. How much do you share, what will you give up for safety, what if you're judged? When do you finally give yourself permission to really be yourself? What gifts do you hide? Later I saw the ending again of the The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. I love the character Evelyn's ideas on things, I found it very encouraging-

But it's also true that the person who risks nothing, does nothing, 

has nothing. All we know about the future is that it will be 

different. But perhaps what we fear is that it will be the same.

So we must celebrate the changes.


The only real failure is the failure to try, and the measure of 


success is how we cope with disappointment. 

And from Sonny, another character- 

Everything will be all right in the end, if it's not all right, it's not


yet the end.

Amen sister, and brother! Wonderful film if you haven't seen it, especially if you're a bit older :)  Maybe when I turn 60 I WILL go jump out of a plane, with a parachute, and do a water landing!

7 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

My ferrets are like your cat. Any open cupboard or cabinent is an invitation to explore.

I try to keep my place squared away but I admit I sometimes leave dishes in the sink, if only for a short time.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks for sharing that movie. I just ordered it via our library's interloan system. Love the cat photos. I have some cat funnies to share soon too. And doesn't decluttering and organizing feel good? I still need to clean out my fridge, but I'm waiting for hot water. I may heat some on the stove today. As for risking, I can't see me jumping from a plane. My brother and Uncle did it, however.

Unknown said...

Yes, pets are funny! I guess they like to explore? Great movie, IMO...

Furries said...

Pretty kitty. Mine also loves "sneaking" into the cabinet when I'm not looking. Guess it's extra enticing since she knows she's not supposed to be in there.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, just another cool place to explore!

Kathi said...

I'd never heard of that movie but it sounds intriguing; I'll have to look it up. Love the cat photos! Thank you for sharing this at the HomeAcre Hop; I hope you'll join us again this Thursday.

Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead

Unknown said...

Thanks Kathi....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...