Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Sep 26, 2013

First Fall, Now Winter! Danish Apple Pastry Bar


Bogus Basin Ski Resort, Courtesy of KTVB 2 days ago

First Fall, Now Winter!
Like the old saying goes- wait a minute and the weather will change. Summer/fall was here and now we seem to be heading into fall/winter weather. Local forecasters are calling for a "normal" winter (what's that?) instead of a El Nino or La Nina. That means possibly snow at the slopes for a Thanksgiving opening. We haven't seen that in years and years! We've been in the mid-40's the last couple of nights, with our first big fall storm system blowing thru. Lots of wind and rain. Green but chilly and wet. I've had to put the chickens in early a couple of time so they didn't get soaked. Bogus Basin and some of the mountains are now getting their first snowfall. Wow, and I still have tons of green tomatoes! 70's are forecast for the weekend, and more next week. I'm not quite ready to put the garden to bed yet, so hopefully it won't get too cold too fast. I still have tons of basil to make into pesto (round 2). Winter jammies are in the dryer, for my first wear this fall. Don't need the heavy comforter yet, but soon. Ah summer, missing you a bit already. But NOT the 90's!!!


Danish Apple Pastry Bars-                                                                              
Lats weekend I tried this recipe- Danish Pastry Apple Bars Great recipe. The recipe called foe 10 apples which made a pretty thick pastry. I think I'd go with 8 next time. I added extra cinnamon and a little squeeze of lemon juice. This is definitely more of a low sugar recipe, which I like. You really taste the apples! I used butter instead of shortening, and the pastry crust was so flaky! Warning- do not cut into bars until completely cool! Still tasty but fell apart.


5 comments:

2 Tramps said...

Winter is trying to creep in before fall here, too. We had a light frost last night and it will be colder tonight. We covered the garden as best we could. But I need to bring the pots of basil inside - thanks for reminding me! Had to dig out long pants for the first time since April this week.

Unknown said...

Yes, basil is tender....

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Oh, I need to get my basil and rosemary potted and brought it. I keep putting it off, but I need to get it done very soon.

Endah Murniyati said...

There are no fall and winter in my country. I can't imagine that. I plant vegetables on my home garden a long the year. And the farmers do the same on their farmlands. We are lucky about that. Fall gardening is very interested me. Your apple pie looks so yummy.
Have a nice weekend.

Unknown said...

Yes, good idea, bringing things in. I just plant new ones every year, unless I can keep the rosemary in the garage over winter.

I'd miss not having winter, time to rest!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...