Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

May 5, 2012

Oat Flour Crisp Topping Recipe, Garden, Chicks In A Room With a View, Good Deals

Oat Flour Crisp Topping Recipe- I've been starting to convert some wheat flour recipes over to oat flour, and here was my first try, a mixed berry cobbler-
 before baking-
After
Sorry we grabbed a couple of desserts first before I took the photo. Here's the classic crumb topping recipe I used and modified, and the flavor was good!

Oat Crumb Topping-
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teas. cinnamon (I use more) cut into small pieces
1 stick cold butter
1/2 cup rolled oats
Just cut the mixture together and put on your favorite cobbler.

Garden- The garden is growing fast! Berries are getting tall, the rhubarb should be turning red soon. All the new sun in the garden is really helping, since we had our massive tree trimmed-

New perennials are looking good that we planted last week-

Lettuce is coming up in the cold frame, woo hoo!
Tomorrow we'll start setting up our new cold frame. Next weekend I'll start moving some wheelbarrows of dirt from the main garden bed, that will be fun :(  I'm getting good workouts in the yard! 

Chicks In A Room With a View- The girls are getting bigger every day, BUT it's been cold and rainy, so I haven't gotten them outside at all. Tonite it supposed to be in the low 30's. We set up our old $2.00 playpen designed for kids for outside (no floor). It works great upside down for a chick playpen inside too. Here they are in the kitchen, getting more room and a change of scenery-

They also like to hang out in the living room, by the big window, with the coop outside, towel for easy cleanup:) They are really feathering out. They were really relaxed sitting in the sun and they love this spot. The lighting was really nice late today for these photos, and I LOVE my camera!




Aren't they cute? I swear, I have washed my windows twice in the last month or so, and every time a storm blows thru my windows are dirty again! Er... 

Good Deals- I found these nice, thick wooden spoons at out local grocery outlet. They are Paula Deen brand, I love them! A buck each!



I went to the local Eddie Bauer outlet today. I found 2 great polo shirts for work and a fleece top for 75% off, good deals. I also got a fleece jacket, ditto 50% off. A lot of my work clothes that fit are pretty worn, and that's something I'm working on fixing over the summer. It's easier to buy a little new clothes at a time and not take such a big hit. Next week or so I'm going to make some homemade liquid laundry soap. We'll see how that goes!

I loved these ideas for a Recycled Backyard Lots of cute ways to save money and have some creative things to play with! I loved this one, reminded me of school! 1/2 a kickball!

Pinned Image


4 comments:

Leigh said...

The photos of your chicks are just too cute. They are gonna think they're house chickens! The cobbler looks absolutely yummy too. I'll have to try that recipe.

Unknown said...

I'll finally be able to get the girls out tomorrow, when it warms up!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

The recycling project is a great idea! The chicks look great!

Unknown said...

Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...