Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Apr 27, 2012

When Did I Start Homesteading?



I was looking around my home the other day, at all the little things that speak to me. That got me thinking- when, and how, did I start homesteading? Bearing in mind I do urban homesteading, I still long for a rural life, old rusty stuff, and animals. A big garden, fruit trees and a barn. Where did all this come from? I started thinking back to all the little, subtle hints that pointed me to the eventual life I'm in- being around my absentee Father, who fixed cars and was a self trained mechanic, taught me how to use tools. Being around a Grandfather, who loved to garden, taught me about growing things. Being around a Grandmother who sewed, canned and cooked from scratch, taught me how to feel friendly in a kitchen. All those little things add up. You never know thru your life what your destination may be until you see the road map getting clearer. Always planning ahead is part of that homesteading thinking- where can I grow more food? Where can I store more food? How much stuff do I need to buy versus making it? How many animals can I support? How should I take care of them? What's my "bottom line" on what I will and will not do? Being married sometimes blurs this :)  I could sell this house in a heart beat and move east towards the border of Wyoming where it's much greener, more rural, but with small cities nearby, and have a small acreage. But being married, well I'm still working on that! For now I do what I can where I am and sigh, "if only...."

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

Nice post! :)
I don't know where my homesteadding bug came from, I must be a throwback to a past generation! LOL!!

Unknown said...

Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...