Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Apr 6, 2012

Happy Easter, Lacto-Fermented Sodas, Weird Weather

Happy Easter!

I've always been fascinated by history, and so, with that in mind, here's a few Easter tidbits!

The old pagan symbols- the goddess and the egg, all fancied up and ready to be hunted after and found!  Bunny- symbol of fertility, like I had to tell you that right? Even the word Easter relates to several goddess names, from what I've read...

Celebrating fertility and the goddess (in ancient times) in the spring, when you're planting your crops, all makes sense. I find it interesting how many ancient rites have later been co-opted by organized religions, but that's old news. When we moved to Idaho and asked some new co-workers (who were of a certain religious persuasion) if their kids went Easter egg hunting, they gave us an odd look. We assumed this was pretty common even for non-religious folks. In their religion it was "planting day". Later we were wondering what the heck they were talking about, since we'd never heard any Christians use that term. Even late coming to the scene religions change things. It never ends, oh well.....  

Homemade Lacto-Fermented Sodas- I'm reading Urban Homesteading by Kaplan and Bloom. What an excellent read! I'm interested in possibly making homemade sodas. I won't do the "whey" in mine since I'm allergic to dairy, but there's the ginger version. I'm still in the research phase, but it's a great idea! Gotta buy a copy! Here's a nice article with an overview and some yummy recipes! Lacto-Fermented Sodas

Weird Weather- 45 today, low 29 tonite, and it's supposed to be 80 on Monday! Yikes!

Samantha enjoying rolling on a warm spring afternoon

3 comments:

Candy C. said...

I always find it interesting how the ancient Pagan celebrations were incorporated into Christianity to help the locals "accept" the new religion! ;-)
I'll be interested to see how your homemade fermented sodas work out!

Leigh said...

I tried ginger beer a long time ago, but it wasn't a success. Actually, I take that back. After dumping (in the compost) several fizzless bottles worth, I found one last month I'd overlooked. It took awhile, but this one actually had some fizz.

I appreciate the article. I definitely need to try this again. We don't drink soda often, but the sweeteners in commercial ones are to be avoided like the plague.

Unknown said...

I don't drink soda much anymore, because I hate the flavor of corn sweeteners, and I'm slimming down. But some full flavor fruit sodas I could handle :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...