Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Apr 15, 2012

Gardening, Berries, Weather, Thrifting & Video

Gardening, Weather- Yesterday I spent about 3 hours working on the backyard- mowing with our trusty hand pusher, raking, cleaning the beds. It was so nice, about 65 and breezy! I did one full hour just pruning back my berries. We have 1 raspberry row, 2 Marionberry, and 1 big blackberry row. I dread this job the most in the spring due to the bleeding involved :)  Not too bad yesterday! There's always a lot of dead wood from the winter. This is the "after" picture, much better! I'll fertilize soon and hope I have another bumper crop like last year. There are tons of blossoms on my nectarine tree, so I may have enough to can this year!


Thrifting- I went to a flea market that come to our state fair grounds every few months. I found these-  $2.00 for the large doily and $3.00 for the vintage screen. I love the green, vintage paint, and steel screen! I'm going to use the screen frame as a display, or put a mirror behind it. The doily is amazing with all the details, and much bigger than the other one I have! It was funny- two women had a booth selling pickled eggs, which I had made for the first time last month! I tried a chunk of a jalapeno one, wow! HOT! Good though, another version to try....

I love this version of Independence Day by Little Big Town, amazing harmonies!!!

5 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Great thrift store buys. I wish we had berry bushes big enough to pick from this year. We lost our blueberry bushes and had to replant them last year.

Candy C. said...

I love your berry patch! I just this year planted blackberry bushes so I have a ways to go. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, we got a huge harvest last year after 3 years of "not much"...

Leigh said...

Love the finds! The garden is looking good too. :) Great idea with the posts and fence.

Unknown said...

Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...