Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jan 4, 2012

Thrifting, Scandinavian Crafts/Cook Books & Cookies!



                                                               French Butter Keeper- How It Works


Thrifting Fun!- I went to my local thrift store warehouse the other day. I found another onion soup pot (to go with my other 2), a French butter keeper, and a Polish folk art marmelade (European spelling) pot. All: a whopping $1.50! A French butter keeper is preety cool in function! The round top holds 1 cube of butter perfectly, then the bottom fills about 1/3 with cold water. You then set the butter into the water base. Seals out the air and keeps in cool, no electricity needed! Works great in the summer!!! Just wash weekly, or more often, and you can change the water every few days if needed. No more cold, hard butter or melted goo!

Scandinavian Craft and Cooking Books- I found some great books at the library over winter break all with great ideas, recipes and photos:

Swedish Christmas Crafts   Not just for Christmas, IMO.
                                                  

Scandinavian Classic Baking  OMG, what a find! I'll be trying these soon!!!
                                               

Swedish Christmas Traditions    A mixed bag, but some good recipes....
                                                  

Cookies- I finally tried out my new IKEA cookie cutters below


 I used a Sweet and Spicy Lebkuchen recipe that I found years ago in a cookbook. I found the exact recipe online! I love the ground up almonds and moistness, not hard and dry. I do NOT dredge them in powdered sugar, too sweet for me. I use a lite sprinkle instead. Sweet-n-Spicy-Lebkuchen




6 comments:

Cathy said...

I love going to the thrift store. You found some good stuff. A lot of times all we have here is junk, but it is all in the fun of the hunt. One day I was in Goodwill and a lady was saying that her daughter couldn't believe she came and had to look through everything to find something she liked. The older lady said "It's like a treasure hunt." I agree.

Candy C. said...

I love your thrift store finds and your cookie cutters! :)
Those books look fun too! Oh, and could you please pass the plate of cookies?!?

Unknown said...

Thanks, we're still working on them :)

Michelle said...

I have a butter keeper to. That sits on my counter. The bad thing is I always forget it's there. Like you I love Thrift stores.

Ngo Family Farm said...

Oh, a butter keeper, what a find! My search for a thrifted one continues...

I also got a kick out of that comic--so true!

-Jaime

Unknown said...

Yes, they can be hard to find, and the comic, ha! Great reason to eat whole foods...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...