Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Sep 18, 2011

Nectarines, and More Nectarines

We started harvesting the majority of our ripe nectarines today. I have sliced and frozen 8 qt. bags with a little fruit fresh to prevent darkening. I still have a whole counter full, sitting on a towel. The ripe ones are really red, I've never seen ones with that much color! I know it was a french variety I bought, and the flavor is wonderful and really juicy! I made a BIG nectarine crisp last night, I'll do round 2 in a few days. Sat. I plan on canning slices and maybe some sauce now that I know how much we have. About another 5 gallons on the tree. Only a free bee stings and minor spots to cut off, much cleaner than our apples!





Dinner last night was homemade veggie chili, homemade buttermilk biscuits and the crisp, yeah, it was good!

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

Wow, what a great harvest! You'll be enjoying those well through the winter! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...