Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Sep 4, 2011

More Canning and Apple Butter

I finished the apples today, all of them! Woop, woop! I wound up with 6 more qts. of spiced applesauce and 2 smaller jars. I have about 1 qt. or so of apple  butter that's done, just needs to be canned. It's SO much better than the store bought. We did a side by side test- the store bought has corn syrup and corn sweetener, and has the icky aftertaste. The homemade used lemon juice, sugar, spices and some of the apple cooking water. I used an immersion blender after it has been simmering for hours, very silky. I used my french enamelled cast iron pot, works great at low temps, no scorching. Reduced to about 1/2, delish! I'll do small jars for me and  a few for my kids...

3 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

If I get my hands on some apples this season, I may be asking you for advice on spices for making applesauce.

Candy C. said...

Whew! What an accomplishment!! :)

Unknown said...

Kristina, for my "spiced" I use a lot of cinnamon, fresh nutmeg, a pinch of salt, sugar, and fresh lemon juice. For my "regular" applesauce a tiny amount of cinnamon, no nutmeg. It's personal preference. I like my appleasuce to taste unsweetened, not sugary... and it depends on how sweet the apples are...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...