Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jun 6, 2019

Well It Was Warm!!! Classic Waldorf Salad Recipe



Well It Was Warm!!!
Just when you start getting used to what seemed like early summer, BAM, Mother Nature smacks you upside the head! It's been in the mid-80s the last few days and really nice. Today a storm front started coming through dropping the temperature 15 degrees over several hours. We have really severe gusting winds, and it looked like a dust storm in downtown Boise late this afternoon. When I was sitting at home tonite I heard a loud thud on the top of the roof and thought here we go!  I went outside to see how big the branch was that got blown off the tree, and luckily it was a little one, no damage done. While I don't mind a little rain and cool weather it seems like it's really hard getting the summer garden started. But that's the breaks and I certainly don't want to complain too much after seeing what's happened in the midwest. The low tonight is supposed to be 49° and the low tomorrow night is supposed to be 40. I'll be putting an extra blanket back on the bed and wearing my winter jammies again, even though it's supposed to be summer. The good news is it's supposed to warm up back up to the 80's next week so this should be a temporary glitch on the weather map so to speak. Here's hoping for summer finally! And slap me when I complain it's too HOT!




Classic Waldorf Salad Recipe-
I had a pot luck to go to and decided to bring this classic old recipe! It's a easy dish, just a lot of knife work. Goes well with anything, keeps well. What more could you ask? My Mom always made it with crushed pineapple instead of grapes, so that's another version! Simplyrecipes.com

4 comments:

Susan said...

Crazy weather! I have never tried making Waldorf salad with pineapple, but I bet it's good. One of my favorite summer salads.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes rained today, 39 tonite

Leigh said...

Good grief, I wouldn't mind some cooler weather here. We've had a long streak of mid-90s! I love Waldorf salad - thanks for reminding me. I've never tried it with pineapple, but I have a recipe for "Hearty Waldorf Salad" which has diced ham to make it a summer supper salad. The pineapple would be really good in that.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes you're in the south. I do love the salad since it's not too sweet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...