Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jun 19, 2016

How To Do Copper Leaf Crafts, It's Pesto Time! Fast & Frugal Gourmet Chicken Salad Sandwiches


How To Do Copper Leaf Crafts-
This is such an cheap, easy process, I thought I'd share it! When we bought our current house, a single story ranch the garage needed a little something up above for interest. For $10.00 I bought a sage green painted metal folk art type star. I was in a craft store and saw a package of Copper Leaf and had a eureka! moment. I copper leafed the star, sprayed with a clear poly spray to protect it from the weather. After 10 years it looked like this-


Not bad, but it needed a face lift. It used to be above the garage door-


Since we painted the house and installed a vent in that spot I decided to re-do it for another spot on the front of the house, centered between our bedroom windows. 

New much-needed vent

For $12.00 I bought a small package of copper leaf-

photo is of gold but it's copper inside

The standard craft size seems to be 4" x 4" and about 25 sheets. I did the whole star and have some left over. You can buy special glue, and I was going to use some spray adhesive that I already had. Sadly it has TERRIBLE fumes and you can't do this outside in any kind of wind or draft. It turned into an inside project.

 
Close up "before", after 10 years in the weather, not bad really!

I worked on my dining table with paper towels underneath. To prep I brushed and wiped the surface with a dry cloth and worked on as it. Theoretically I could have washed it with TSP but why bother? I wanted the rustic look. I used some Elmer's wood glue, applied with a craft sponge. Pour on, sponge on, and do a small section at time-


Spread on a thin coating, you want a tacky surface- 


Very carefully use one sheet of copper leaf at a time, it's sandwiched between thin paper sheets- 


 Just leave in place in the "book" and press on the tacky glue, tear off the paper pages as you go-


I used a small paint brush to flatten the copper leaf on gently- 

Looking better already!


I worked all the way around, overlapping as needed. I let dry overnight.


 2nd round of leafing

The next day I brushed off the loose copper excess and did the process again. Just fill in any gaps and empty spots, dry overnight again. Wipe off the rest of the excess and spray with clear poly to protect from the outdoor elements. Re-hung and we're done! 


With the left over copper from last time I covered a cheap plastic and metal yard art "sun". Much better! Still holding up well 10 years later but it has been inside, I moved it outside. Looks good on the new gray paint! 


What could you use copper leaf with???

                                                     




It's Pesto Time!
I planted a pot full of basil seeds recently, but I also bought 3 large plants. Time to make pesto! I used my fave recipe, Rosie's Pesto, fast and simple, low fat to boot! I used it with some roasted chicken I had left over. Just heat in an skillet with a little olive oil and warm thru.


I tossed the chicken into pasta. Serve with salad and french bread, it's what's for dinner!



Fast & Frugal Gourmet Chicken Salad Sandwiches-
Speaking of chicken.... I bought two 2-pack cans of precooked chicken breast on sale. I don't usually buy canned cooked meats, but I thought it would be useful for a fast dinner on a I'm too tired to cook night. I have made tarragon chicken salad before but wanted something with more flavor. I combined a few recipes, and included my organic sweet pickles from Ikea. Give it a try! I served on toasted Challah (clearance price!) buns with pickles, chips and veggies. The whole batch with chicken and buns was about $8.00 including what I already had. Makes 6 large sandwiches! You could also serve as a salad with greens.

Ingredients
Meat- two 12 oz cans of cooked chicken breast, or use your own roasted chicken, COLD
1 cup diced Celery
1/2 cup diced Red onion
1/2 cup diced sweet pickles
2 TBL fresh Tarragon from my garden,or 1TBL dried
2 TBL Dijon mustard
2 TBL Lemon juice
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
Black pepper to taste

Add mayo, lemon juice and mustard in a bowl, mix well. Add chicken, and the rest of the ingredients and toss well. Refrigerate while you prep the rest of the meal. Serve on toasted buns! Great on a hot night! This will be great with sliced, home grown, fresh garden tomatoes soon! Basil would work well too. Keeps well too, enjoy!

5 comments:

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

Your star and sun look amazing. You make it easy. Looks good on your home.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks! It's a bit of a messy project but really pretty simple. I think I'm good for another 10 years :)

Acorn to Oak said...

I've never heard of or seen copper leaf before. That's cool! I love the look. Looks fun too! All those great pics of food are making me hungry! Time for lunch! :-D I love pesto!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks, it's a fun way to change the look of things!

EvaDiva said...

I hadn't heard of copper leaf before either. Your star n sun look awesome! Great job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...