Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

May 11, 2013

Shabby Chic Metal Roofing in The Flower Garden, Easy Homemade Elderberry Syrup, New Couch!


Shabby Chic Metal Roofing in The Flower Garden-
After building our cedar flower box (below) for our deck we had 1/2 a sheet of galvanized roofing left over. I knew I could do something with it, of course!


We had removed an old cold frame and I knew I wanted to plant some perennials there. I stood it up against the fence and had an "ah ha" moment.  A little shine and reflection for the flowers!!! It's screwed to the fencing and I have my flowers ready to plant. Cool huh? I'll probably hand a few goodies up above the metal- an old vintage shovel and some other goodies I have around...


Easy Homemade Elderberry Syrup:
After posting this Homemade Elderberry Syrup, I made some! Easy and boy does it have a strong aroma!!! WOW. Anyway, I made some using the dried berries I bought online. The supplier I used is Herbalcom.com. I bought 2 lbs. for about $7.00 each, with shipping. MUCH cheaper than buying the extract.


 I used the sugar preservative recipe and it really was simple. I doubled the recipe and used 1/2 cup berries to 4 cups of water. When I was done it was exactly 2 cups-

Kept it the fridge, it's nice and thick.

Very deep red/brown color, with a distinctive taste. I'll try some on waffles soon!
  

My New Couch!-
We were really needing a new couch and a couple of chairs for the living room. We decided to take the plunge this spring and get a nicer, really heavy duty couch. She was delivered today, what a beauty! Nice sage green and it's Anya approved. We chose the colors for the pillows (there's 2) and I went with something fun and summery, since I already have wintery pillows-

It's a bit brighter, and a little shiny, in real life- orange, green and blue/grays, cute!

5 comments:

Susan said...

Anya looks like she's quite comfortable on that lovely new couch! I like the color. And what a great use of that metal roofing - inspiration!

Unknown said...

Thanks, it will look even better after I plant the flowers....

Candy C. said...

I really like the new sofa and pillows and your "decoration" on the end! :)
Our entire backyard fence is made out of galvanized roofing. They call it Barrio fencing in Tucson. We painted ours to match the house though, the bare metal was too bright for a whole fence.

Unknown said...

Thanks. Since it was a small chunk it worked out fine...

Kitchenhutt Spices said...

Thanks for sharing it with us !!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...