Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jun 18, 2015

Frugal Mini Bathroom Makeover, Refreshing Picture Frames, Summer Stuff, Thrifting Score

The "before"counter

Frugal Mini-Bathroom Makeover-
I just finished a mini-bathroom makeover for our small bathroom! I added a new back splash. Our master bath is actually a 1/2 bath. The main bathroom is down the hall and we remodeled it last year. Sadly my bathroom (hubby Dave uses the big one) was pretty sad looking in comparison. The main thing I HATED about the counter (as in the kitchen) was the back splash, with the icky metal trim. It's really bad in the kitchen, a great place for food to get stuck in. While I'm not a fan of beige laminate, I can live with it a few more years until we get a solid counter. Or until it dies. I still like the paint color, a very white blue, keeping with my faded, beachy theme. I was super careful removing the back splash so I didn't need to re-paint. Glory be!!! I also add a few new or recycled accessories and I'm done! Well, maybe some new towels :) I first added new knobs on the cabinet, which remind me of sea glass -

Hobby Lobby, $4.99!

I spent a full month researching what I could do for a new back splash, that would be fast, low cost and durable. I looked at tile, wood, stone, glass, you name it. Here's what I came up with, a good compromise for now- "Nexus Tiles Wedge Blue" from Home Depot-

                                                                                             

First I removed the old back splash, easy! Just peeled off gently with a wide spackle tool


Then I spackled to even things out, let dry

I did the full install today, wiped down the counter. I also caulked the bottom edge. I used optional construction adhesive to really lock them into place-

Love it!


Elephant hanger is gone, off to donation

All dressed up!

My fave vintage jar full of seashells

Another vintage jar

My print from the old bathroom now where I can see it!

New clock from Home Depot, $7.00!

The total for the whole job was about $50.00, not bad! The kitchen is next, with a different back splash and full paint job :)



Thrifted Prim Mirror- before

Re-Painting Frames-
I noticed a while back I had some nice frames that needed a spruce up/upgrade, the one above and this-


The sunflower print is is in really great shape but the blue stain is very faded. Time for some paint! Here's the process for the prim birdhouse mirror, which didn't go with anything else color-wise-

Used free postits to cover the mirror and "roof", removed moss from hole 

New paint, just need to put the moss back in the hole

I'll do the sunflower frame next and then a few more projects. Here's the colors I'm using, a range of blues-






Summer Stuff-
I found this FREE, gorgeous 16" x 20" shell poster on the link above. I had it printed for $7.00 and found a thrifted frame for $4.00. What a deal! I was going to paint the frame but the pale blue, distressed finish grew on me :) Perfect bit of beachy summer in the living room!

Great detail in the poster

More summer stuff, I made the chunky prim flag :)

My "sea table", reminds me of the Oregon coast, and mostly thrifted!

Posie hanging out in the cool raised bed :)


Thrifting Score-
I got the 2 above items, new, at Goodwill for $1.99 each! Perfect for my kitchen after I put my new white back splash in. I also got the teal clock shown above from Home Depot, $7.00. It was a good day :) I also bought 2 of these on eBay-


It's a standard size galvanized lid and soap/lotion pump for canning jars. I'll put one in my bathroom and one in the kitchen after I re-paint. I know where I can find some blue/green vintage jars for them hopefully. I'll use clear glass for now. At $4.99 each they were cheaper than trying to make my own. They had LOTS of finishes, but I liked these eBay.com



11 comments:

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

I like what you have done, look really clean and fresh

Unknown said...

Thanks! It was well worth it!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Very nice re-do! I love it.

Susan said...

I love the color of those tiles and the 'sea glass' knobs - lovely! What a difference a small change can make.

Unknown said...

Yes! A lot of beige and white is blah. Add some deep blue and sea foam color and yowza!!! :)

bj said...

You did a great job on the bathroom.....so glad you are happy with it. Very nice.

Unknown said...

Thanks!

Mama Pea said...

Just a little tweaking (and elbow grease . . . and, of course, the ability you have to "see" things before they're done!) and what a difference in your bathroom!

I don't know where you get all your ideas, and then find the materials to bring them to fruition. Your brain is obviously more highly developed than mine!

Unknown said...

Thanks, I don't know about that! I am good at visualizing things however, that's how I roll :)

Anonymous said...

Great article, totally what I was looking for.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...