Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jun 27, 2015

Kitchen Back Splash Re-do, Record Heat & Fire Season Starts, DIY Rustic Wood Tray, Free Vintage Printables!



Kitchen Back Splash Re-do- 
This is the kitchen back splash update Part One.  First I did the prep, then I did the actual work! I'm really happy with the result!!! I used a subtle folk art type pattern in flat/matte white found at Home Depot (sorry HTML code won't work).  It was really a perfect application for this- fast, durable and simple design. It's so much brighter in the kitchen! Here's the before-


Tan laminate back splash with the icky metal edging and sheet rock above. Good place for food and hard water to get stuck in the trim :(  Yuck

About 5 minutes and main back splash off!

Anya had to inspect my work




The worrisome part was the section below the microwave. Luckily I was able to tear it out and break it off. Cut a bit off with a laminate knife and all done! 

Dry layout

First 2 sheets up using construction adhesive, loving it!!!

Making progress around the corner and under the window, tricky but I did it!


I asked Dave to put 2 new replacement switches and receptacles on either side of the sink. They were very worn, scratched and since he works in electrical he gets a VERY good deal on parts :) Thanks honey!!! Nice and new and white! I caulked the edges of the back splash, that made it look much more finished. I had saved some fun new, thrifted items for the updated counter, so I put them out!

Done and (mostly) decorated, some stuff to hang yet...



Sorry it's blurry, I was tired :)

Free print, thrifted frame and tea tin



Love the blue glass against the white! 

My new fave metal print, from eBay, $6.99!

Free print, thrifted frame

I jazzed up my existing blind with some blue ribbon, not sure yet if I'll keep it

It took me 2 afternoons to do the project, not counting getting everything moved out. For the back splash, adhesive and trim it was under $140.00, I think. Not bad, and worked for us!!! Part 2 will be this Wed. The plumber is coming to fix our leaky outside hose spigot, and pull our old sink, then add the new one! I also went thru kitchen things, have some going for donations, selling some vintage stuff on Craigslist...

Old almond sink, faucet, bye bye! Pretty scratched, we got 10 years out of it, bought used...

For part two go here to see the NEW sink- Kitchen Re-Do- Part 2  The new white sink and faucet will really jazz things up! Part 3 will be painting, maybe this week, we'll see. I'm just really happy with our budget and what we were able to get...

I made this last night to add some more color to the kitchen, a lemon topiary-

Idea from- Astrollthrulife.net, total cost $12.00, with my own pot




Record Heat & Fire Season Starts-
It's 103 right now at 9:00 p.m. and it is just too HOT! Blistering heat, with smoke in the skies. Fires are not too far off in the hills and out farther. We've had a lot of fire planes and choppers going over our house, bless them. I'm really glad for the AC! My chickens have been SO hot, but I give them cool wet treats, water their run and have a mister on. They're still laying bless their hearts! Mommies good girls. We watered the yarden a lot before it hit and now just keeping an eye on things closely. Luckily since we mulch so much with our own compost, things do pretty well, but 108 is HOT!!!







DIY Rustic Wood Tray-
I found this fun little tray idea here Lizmarieblog.com  We bought two 1" x 3"s last night and I'll start this next week. Cute and cheap!!! I'll probably leave the handle off mine, maybe, and mine will be smaller...


Free Vintage Printables!
If you've ever loved old vintage prints, and want to do something with them, here's the place to go Thegraphicsfairy.com  She has 1,000's of free images you can use to print, transfer to furniture, crafts, etc. I'm going to try my hand at adding some images to a few things. Will post more when I do that...

Happy Summer!

6 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your backsplash is looking wonderful and so is the new sink. You did an amazing job on your lemon topiary. It really looks fabulous. Great job.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much!!! And welcome to my blog :) That's the old sink, new one's coming Wed...

Leigh said...

Nancy, the backsplash is fantastic! What a wonderfully amazing improvement. I have to say I can commiserate about the heat. We finally had a break in our scorching string of days so that the lower 70s felt downright chilly! Here's hoping relief is on the way.

Unknown said...

Thanks Leigh! Yes it's a big difference!!! Still hot here, poor garden :(

Jody. Jodyc2@verizon.net said...

Hi. Did you use the panels behind a cook top? I was thinking of doing something similar but am worried about the area around the cook top. I have found some tin panels I like but the PVC will be much less expensive.

Nancy In Boise said...

No no room anyway and not heat poof.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...