Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jun 10, 2019

Finally Some Warm Weather! Independence Days Challenge


Finally Some Warm Weather!
After a cold end of the week, and weekend, it's finally warming up again. Hopefully for good! It was 39 degrees Friday night and only hit low 70's yesterday. Low 80's today, and we're going to hit the mid 80's most of next week. The veggie garden should start to take off more! The yarden, front and back is so green!







Independence Days Challenge-
Here's what we've been up to!

1. Plant Something- Have been trying to harden off my baby Basil's and squash, but just too cold. Will start again this week.

2. Harvest Something- Lots of eggs and herbs! Herbs have just gone nuts-


Kale and collard greens are ready and mixed lettuces. The cooler, wet weather was great for them!


My Spanish lavender is loving it's spot, going thru a second bloom!


3. Preserve/Store Something- I froze 1/2 of my baking yesterday. Last weekend I made Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies with whole wheat pasty flour and froze some. Canning will start in another month or so when our early ripening peaches come in. We should have a good harvest! Then we'll have apples and pears. Our Choke Cherry and Service berries bushes are loaded. I'll make Choke Cherry jelly and save up the Service berries and freeze. Once I have enough I'l make jams or maybe a fruit bread.

4. Manage Reserves- Get a Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep- Got a great deal on nuts, whole grain pitas, organic cereals and jams yesterday at Costco. Scored a nice, cheap office desk chair as well. Bought some bulk Falafel mix, much cheaper than buying in a box. We're lucky we have a Winco five minutes from our home, with all Bob's Red Mills in their huge bulk section. I found some Reebok sneakers 1/2 off on their website, with $7.00 shipping. A steal! I have to take care of my feet.

5. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipe- I had some left-over homemade applesauce and over-ripe bananas. What to do? Make a new recipe Banana Applesauce Oatmeal Bread It's basically no fat, except the egg. I also added about 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, and left out the honey. I'll freeze 1/2 for later.




We've been eating a lot more produce and grains with moving towards a more plant-based diet. Still eating some meats, but pretty much eliminated most white flour/sugar. More on that later...

6. Build Community Food Systems- Too early for the farmer's market yet.

7. Recycle/Re-Use- Dave went looking for used angle iron, but found commercial shelf brackets. The 2" x 4"s he had on our homemade compost sifter was way too heavy. He had a friend spot weld it to the metal sifter. It's much lighter and easier for him to use. This was his idea, by the way, sifting compost!

8. Skill Up-  I've learned a TON about Permaculture from the book Paradise Lot. It has given me lots of ideas, from Nitrogen-fixing trees to planting more less-common fruits and veggies. Great info and very easy to understand, compared to other complicated Permaculture books.



9. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something- Me! I joined a gym with Dave, new by our house, and only $10.00 month. I'm working on building up walking distance, doing upper body work and general strengthening. Getting some regular, systematic exercise is what I really need. Something I can track and measure, and gauge as to how I'm doing. It will be hot soon, and this will be great when it's 110 outside! I did a full hour yesterday, and I'm proud of myself.


6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I really enjoy hearing about all that you've been up to . . . including your efforts to get in even better shape yourself. That's always a challenge for me as I find it hard to (make myself) get outside for vigorous exercise in the cold winter time (hey, that's my "down" time!) and when the good weather arrives there are so many tasks right here on the homestead. Good being out in the fresh air, but I realize it doesn't work all the muscles in my body . . . that need to be worked. That old balance thing again, huh?

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Mama! With all your huge gardening efforts you do a lot more hard labor than I do however. With our little lot it's a lot simpler and less time consuming. All I do suppose walking from my parking structure into my job building everyday both ways I get a little exercise!

AnnMArie Lewellyn said...

What wonderful activities to partake in! And that banana applesauce bread sounds great!
Thanks for sharing on the Farm Fresh Blog Hop!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks AnnMarie!

Leigh said...

Your backyard looks so good! So do your garden beds. So nice to finally have good weather, isn't it?

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes, warm and sunny! In the 80's is great! Just so much polllen :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...