Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

May 25, 2014

Independence Days Challenge

New Compost Bin

Independence Days:
It has gotten pretty warm here, have a cold and a sore knee, but here's the run down ...


1. Plant Something- Got about 1/2 done yesterday, the rest tomorrow. We planted 5 kinds of tomatoes, 2 Marion berries, moved 1 raspberry, lemon cukes.

I love the new expanded area! More room!

 2. Harvest Something- No eggs lately, seems that 1 is eating hers. She may be retired to Craigslist after the 4 chicks go outside. Thyme, basil, and oregano. Rhubarb soon.

3. Preserve/Store Something- Water! We had a good rain last week and filled our new rain barrel up about 1/3 the way.

4. Manage Reserves- Get a Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep- Got good sale deals on the berry plants, 30% off. 

5. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipe- Nope

6. Build Community Food Systems- Not yet.

7. Recycle/Re-Use- Dave got 3 free pallets from work to build a new compost bin. Old one was duct taped together- 

It lasted about 7 years, not bad



I'm selling our 2 old rain barrels on Craigslist, to recycle them to someone else...

8. Skill Up- Dave did research on how to build compost bins with pallets. I have learned WAY TOO MUCH ABUT POSSIBLE WORMS IN CHICKS. I had to worm m new babies after seeing round worms. I won't gross you out with the details. Very gross. I discovered 2 names for my Amber White chicks- Gywn for "white" in Welsh, and Fiona for "white" in Gaelic, cute! Gywn and Fiona :)  I like it!


9. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something- Enlarged the veggie bed, build a new compost bin in the old area. Still surprised my herbs wintered over! My Oregano and Thyme survived, a first. I think the new herb box Dave built, and the 4" of leaves really insulated a lot more...




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...