Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jun 10, 2020

Curtain Hack & New Rods Upgrade



Curtain Hack & New Rods Upgrade-
I posted a while back about investing some stimulus money into our lifestyle. One of those things was getting our last window some insulated curtains. All the others in the house were good. I hung the new curtains on the old, skinny rod-


I spent hours trying to find some insulated curtains for the house. They're energy efficient and great at keeping the house cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. See post here Investing Money For Homesteading/Life   I finally got a rod, from Overstock.com after Amazon fell thru, and Dave installed it-


The rod is a shabby chic distressed white. I never did like the grommets on the curtains, so I decided to flip the curtains upside down, and use the hem as the top.  I then measured how much fabric to remove. I bought the curtains longer than needed since the reviews said they shrank. Next I removed the grommets and hemmed the edges-




 Next measured a 1" hem to match the side hems-


Pressed and pinned in place-


Had matching thread, used the sewing machine, only took about 15 minutes! Came out nice!!!





All done!

Next I found a great $15.00 silver rod locally (Ross) for my other mini upgrade-

Sad skinny wood rod, what I could afford years ago

New rod, so much better in scale and dresses it up!

Last one to do, just doing a white paint job, now that the rain has stopped!





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...