Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

May 30, 2020

New Chicks! Summer Veggie Garden Planted, DIY Recycled Cedar Planter, Fermenting Success



New Chicks! 
It's 96 today and hot! Summer is here finally, but going to drop 20 degrees tomorrow which will be nice. When we lost two of our hens last year I decided to buy some chicks this spring. I've learned the hard way not to buy them too early in the spring or they have to be inside a long time until they feather out and can tolerate outside temperatures. I called the local Hatchery and during the Covid-19 craziness everyone was sold out. Panic buying I think. I like to buy mine directly from a hatchery because they have a good variety, their chicks are healthy, and you know what you're buying. I've had trouble at two different local feed stores getting the wrong breed and one wasn't even a chicken! The good news was the hatchery was able to take an order a month out from me. So basically ordered three chicks mid late April for late May. I took a little vacation time on Wednesday, went out and picked up the chicks. These are pullets which mean they are baby hens. One is a brown leghorn (no name yet), one is a Silver Laced Wyandotte which I have named Luna, the other is a Red Sex Link Debbie. They LOVE the mirror in the basket! All happy and healthy under their red heat lamp-


Luna in the middle named for her silver color to come, brown leghorn on the right. Debbie on the left named for the space-faring chicken in the new Lost In Space-

Lucky Debbie with Don West (actor Ignacio Serricchio), resident hunk!

I'll start getting them outside soon, depending on the weather and then integrate them to the flock slowly. Happy to have more girls to add! More eggs on the horizon, will probably start selling some eventually. My post here shows the photos of adult hens colors,  New Chicks Coming!




Summer Veggie Garden Planted-
After a really bizarre April and May we finally got all of the summer veggies planted that we had on Memorial Day. We didn't have enough tomato cages so I asked Dave to rip some old cedar boards to create tepees for the tomatoes. He did that and it worked out great!

Dave used our thrifted mini table saw, works great! 


I bought some new rabbit fencing to put around the base of the tomatoes and peppers. This works as a cage for the tomatoes and keeps the chickens out. It's easy to manipulate, cut, and stores well. I realized ours was about seven or eight years old and was just a mess. So for two rolls for $25 it was a good solution-


After my fail X 2 with seeds in the cold frame I added purple and green cabbages and Kohlrabi's-



Mr bushytail chilling in the heat! 

I'm thrilled my French Lavender topiary survived the winter, under four layers of row cover. It's now covered with flowers, just starting to open!!!




Speaking of summer, we had our first barbecue in a few years! I kept forgetting to bring it out (in garage), but we had yummy burgers, grilled green onions, chips and lots of veggies!


And speaking of more summer, I put out some sunny yellow decor in the kitchen/dining room-









DIY Recycled Cedar Planter-
Since we still have some cedar lumber left after the veggie stakes were cut, I asked Dave to build another flower box for me. He asked how big and off he went-







I just need to add the basil starts and flowers, weather proof, perfect!




Fermenting Success-
I made two batches of fermented foods, one with my new Masontops kit. The first batch I used their sauerkraut recipe and my existing jar with airlock top. The second batch I made was fermented carrots with fresh thin sliced ginger and garlic. I was really excited to make two batches simultaneously! Mid way the kraut had a little bit of stuff on the top, but not much, so I skimmed it off. I also added a little bit more brine. I think the issue was some of the tiny pieces of cabbage floated up above the weights. Next time I will leave in a large cabbage leaf under the weights. Never had this problem with the Curtido, I think there was more mass. When it was done there was what looked like a Scoby on top, similar to what you see on top of Kombucha. It had no odor so I threw it out. I checked on the sauerkraut which tasted fine! Since I'm really only making it for myself I'm not worried about any kind of problems. I ate some and it was nice and crunchy! The carrots came out well, with a little tiny bit of scum on the top of the brine which I skimmed off. I tasted the carrots and they were crunchy and slightly spicy. The fresh raw ginger and fresh raw garlic definitely gives it some kick! I will definitely do those recipes again.


Carrots going in

top on, worked great venting! 

Close up 


Chilling in the fridge, the brine will get clearer in a few days

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I just purchased a little French Lavender plant. Hope to keep it alive at least through this growing season!

Love your accents of the yellow in your summer decorations. Isn't yellow the most cheerful color?

Your fermented veggies look wonderful. My body doesn't seem to tolerate ginger in any form (weird, huh?) but I can see how it would add zing to the veggies. 'Course, the garlic (yum) helps, too!

Rain said...

Hi Nancy :) Oh the chicks are so adorable! I don't think I'll have chicks this year, I'm hoping for next year! You should call the leghorn "Foghorn" after the Looney Tune character lol...The lavender looks great, I can't seem to grow it myself! I'm going to try again next season though. I probably don't have good seeds. The summer decor looks great, I really love those lemons. The fermented foods look delicious!

Nancy In Boise said...

I love French lavender plants! This kind has the big tufted puffy tops. I'm glad it survived! I started really enjoying yellow when I first saw a photo of that little lemon garland that I was able to eventually buy, that got me started! I know that Ginger I think causes some upset for people stomach. You could leave it out and use a pinch of maybe red pepper flakes instead for a little kick. I've always loved carrots so it was a good recipe for me to try

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks rain and good to see you're up with the internet! I'll have to do some research on that name but sounds cute. I have an overgrown lavender from seeds you might try growing some starts? But I don't know if there's any nurseries or gardening places anywhere near you. Chickens are fun to have they would be a little bit more challenging where you are since you're in a rural area, keeping them safe from predators. I got the lemons from Target Dollar Store section and those helped fill in some of that nice yellow color. Good luck settling in with your new home I'm really excited for you!

Anne in the Kitchen said...

I really enjoyed reading about your garden! We have a combination of containers and in-ground beds too. However, we're in Texas so the growing seasons are very different. I love seeing where everyone else is and what they're planting! Thanks for sharing! I found you at the Homestead Blog Hop.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Anne! I always like seeing what other people plant too and how they do it. You probably have a little bit warmer climate since you're farther south and we're still having crazy weather! 97 degrees tomorrow and then down to 65 Saturday and raining. Go figure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...