Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Oct 15, 2019

How I Hygge- Or Making Your World More Cozy




How I Hygge, Or Making My World More Cozy-
Hygge is a Danish word that started showing up in the states a few years ago. I recently bought a used copy of


It's fascinating to read how the Danish people have such long, dark winters, but they can be made very livable by some simple concepts. Many people around the world already make their home cozy, year round. Many of these ideas can be incorporated with low cost or free items. Things like bringing in nature- leaves, branches, pine cones. Buy some books, snuggle up and read! A big one is staying in the moment, be present. Board games are making a comeback, put the phones away and have a fun round of Monopoly! Talk to each other. Bake something from scratch, have friends over for tea and cake.  Listen to music with no distractions. Hygge has lots of simple concepts, here's a Hyggekrog, or cosy corner, something soft, warm drink, candle and a book-


Bringing nature in is important, year round, too! Watch the weather too. I've watched the clouds at work, and it very relaxing!!! So, here's some photos of how I Hygge, and read the sweet little book for more ideas and recipes!!!

Faux sheepskin throw on chair, 
Anya in front of the heater, she 's Hygging!

Warm blanket on chair, ready anytime

Dave's fave red blanket, Anya's too. In the winter I switch out the regular pillow-


to this-


Thrifted pillow sham, full size pillow, with blue velvet, warm and cozy!

My corner, place mat made from old Sari's, electric candle, and a pumpkin!

Read some books!

Soft, nature inspired lighting- 


 More soft lighting, from a salt crystal, set on a timer-


More soft lighting (we do have bright floor lamps for reading)-


Made a big pot of veggie chili, with homegrown tomatoes and peppers-




10 comments:

Rain said...

Hi Nancy :) That's some great Hygge-ing! :) Blankets and pillows and candles and scents...a warm chili on a cool day, so wonderfully cozy. I put the fireplace on a lot, it doesn't do much to heat the house, but it gives off quite a cozy atmosphere, lighting and fragrance! Mulled wine is a nice warm comfy drink too! :)

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks, I miss having a fireplace, and hubby's vetoed a woodstove. I don't drink or use scented stuff but I love the rest!

Mama Pea said...

Lovely post! We have a salt lamp, too, and keep it on all day in our bedroom which is basically a dark(ish) room. I love this time of year coming on now when I can pull a handmade quilt up over me when I sit in the living room. Yay, HYGGE!

Leigh said...

You've made everything look so cozy and welcoming! Truly ready for winter rest and relaxation.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Mama and your house always looks very cozy and comforting as well!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks! Yes r and r for sure..

Dicky Bird said...

I have loved this concept as well, however the word is said...teehee...I understand what it means. I grew up like this out of necessity - living simply becuse we HAD to. I am dialing back my consuption of all things...media, tv, purchases...etc. to spend more time being cozy.

Nancy In Boise said...

I think it's pronounce hooga? Yes I think a lot of people are moving more towards a simpler lifestyle and more people oriented and less stuff oriented oh, good for you!

liz said...

I am all about cozy and comfy so I am a big fan of hygge concept! Thanks for sharing on Homestead Blog Hop!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Liz I would have responded sooner but your comment went into the spam folder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...