Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Feb 23, 2018

Nursing a Sick Chicken


Nursing a Sick Chicken-
Chickens can get sick at any time, for all kinds of reasons. Over the years I have dealt with worms, and hens just literally dropping dead for no apparent reason. With a small flock of three and all hand raised from chicks you can get attached! This week my favorite hen Gwynne was laying on the ground in 10 degree weather with bitter cold winds. Normally chickens will walk around outside or go into the coop. I went out and brought her in, her feet and combs were almost frozen. I warmed her up and set up my chicken hospital on my kitchen counter-



Some leftover spaghetti (looks like worms!) and fish


Basically I use 2 large laundry baskets, one on top of the other, with a thick towel. With food ad water, it's easy to just throw the towel in the washer when it gets soiled. After she warmed up she drank some water, ate some soft bread and applesauce, homemade of course! I noticed a little later she was heaving and breathing hard, and wheezing a little, no other symptoms. I started doing research and read about Vetrx, a natural remedy for poultry, with great reviews. Sadly no one locally sells it, so I ordered it online, still waiting-


                                                               

In the mean time I had to do something. It was a good sign she was eating, but she was very lethargic. I decided to use my essential oils I already had. I used my Tea Tree oil mix I use on myself. I put a tiny amount on her wattles, and turned on my vaporizer with Eucalyptus oil.

Vaporizer for essential oils

I kept her in overnight, she seemed to sleep a lot. The next day I had to go back to work, so I kept her inside. Her breathing was much better! Still lethargic, but eating some. We're on day 3 and put I put her out for the day yesterday, with the coop door closed due to steady snow. I didn't want her going outside and sitting there all day. I brought her in last night, she looked tired and didn't eat much. She slept. This morning I made her a scrambled egg and she ate some more fish. She dozes a lot, but seems to be getting some energy back. I debated putting her outside today, but with 8 degrees this morning, I'll keep her in. Tomorrow is the weekend so I may set up a bigger space inside where she can walk around. I have an old outdoor baby playpen I use for chicks. That would work great for the kitchen with some towels down. Time will tell, but she seems on the mend!

6 comments:

Susan said...

Chickens are so difficult to diagnose! Looks like you are an excellent poultry nurse! I have not heard of Vetrx, so I will be interested to hear how it works. I hope she perks up soon - it is so sad when they're not feeling well.

Rain said...

Oh, you are showing such wonderful care for your chicken! I hope she feels better soon!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks I think we're making good progress and if she still under the weather next week when I get the vet RX I will give her that as well

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks I appreciate that!

Mama Pea said...

You're such a good chicken mother! With the cold weather you're having, I doubt Gwynne would have made it on her own. It's always questionable how much effort we should put into saving a chicken. As Susan said, it's so hard to diagnose a problem with them. But because you have only three and have a real relationship with each of them, I can see why you're going above and beyond. Hope she makes it. From the pictures, she really doesn't look too bad.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Mama, she's more alert, up more, eating more. I put her out for an hour or so late in the day, to stretch her legs. I know some people wouldn't bother but she's been a great layer, and the small one of the flock, so I'm looking out for her :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...