Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Aug 15, 2017

Vacation Day (Sort Of) Peach Blueberry Bread and More, My New Etsy Shop!

Curtido Making

Vacation Day (Sort Of) Peach Blueberry Bread and More-
I had planned on taking the day off work today to can peaches, etc. We've been giving peaches to our kids, freezing some, making jams, eating raw and making desserts. We didn't really have enough to bother canning, since we'd frozen and used up some last week. I wanted to do something different today with some of our peaches. I saw we had some frozen blueberries, did some research and made this- Bigbearswife.com peach blueberry bread. Excellent! Moist and delish! I did add some cinnamon sugar on top before baking. It's not overly sweet, and next time I might add some chopped nuts/ brown sugar/butter crumbles on top-


I also made a big blueberry peach cobbler using a modified version of this Nancy's Apple Blueberry Cobbler subbing peaches for apples-


I wanted to make Fermented Curtido Salvadorian Sauerkraut for a while. It's fermented, so there's lots of probiotics, and it's spicy! I made it a few years and it's worth the prep time. Lots of slicing on my little mandolin (very sharp!). Didn't cut myself :) I got 90% of the pounded mixture into my fermenting jar, amazing! It's setup is really fool proof and safe, so it was a good investment. A cheap mandolin was great for this too, just slice carefully. For the price of two heads of cabbage, etc., you have a great side dish!


I used a giant mixed bowl, and finished pounding with a french pastry roller, works great. Bought up the brine pretty quickly. Do this before you mop, it's messy!

Now on the pantry rack, but covered with a towel, 10 days to go!




My New Etsy Shop!
I'm happy to announce I have a new Etsy shop! It's called LittlehomesteadFinds, and there's a link on the right border of this blog. I have one item for sale right now. It's an amazing African tribal basket, leather with Cowrie seashells that I've had for years-


I've been downsizing lots of things over the years, and still had this. If you're interested, please let me know, might be able to give you a reader discount :) I will be adding more over time, and have a farm style organizing craft in the works. No details yet. I'm excited!

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Oh, the fresh, homegrown peach envy just goes on and on! I'd love the peach/blueberry bread because it looks so moist. Wouldn't pass up the cobbler either. (I'll have a piece for breakfast, thank you very much.)

Your curtido sounds a lot like my kimchi. I've got two quart jars of it percolating right now. And ingredients for another two jars to be made up today if I can squeeze it in on the list.

Congrats on your Etsy Shop. You find so many unique items that I'm sure any you don't wish to keep for yourself will be a real attraction there.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Congrats on the Etsy shop. I've contemplated opening one for my crochet/knit and crafted items. I just haven't.

Susan said...

Thank you for the reminder - I love curtido! That bread looks sooooo good! Good luck with your Etsy shop!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks ladies! The curtido and peaches are yummy and opening up an Etsy Shop will be a real Adventure I'm sure!

Leigh said...

Very fancy fermenting jar there; I like! And I really like peaches and blueberries! I was so disappointed we got zero peaches from our trees this year. But sometimes it's like that. Congrats on the Etsy shop!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks in the jar works great, I just checked it last night and it was bubbling away but it doesn't let any bacteria in. This is our first harvest of peaches so we were thrilled! And I have lots of ideas for the etsy shop.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...