Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Aug 19, 2017

Independence Days Challenge



Independence Days Challenge-
It's almost starting to feel like early Autumn right now. Cooler at night, days getting shorter, but the forest fire smoke has returned. Oh well, at least we had deep blue skies earlier this week! This is what I call high summer here at our little homestead- tall perennials, huge Russian sages, apple tree loaded! The basil is big and ready for pesto making to freeze. Some of this I'm trying to hold off unit Labor Day weekend, 5 days off for me! I'm taking the following Tues./Wed. off. Nice to have a longer break to work on more food preserving! Dave will be at a family re-union next weekend. It will be nice to have the weekend to myself, to work on projects and have some sushi out! Dave's not a Japanese food fan, so a friend and I are going out! I see some crafts I may do as well. I have really been enjoying reading Wendy's posts here 21 Days Until Teotwawki, Day Zero chronicling major financial changes in their family and how to cope, think outside the box. You never know when the rug will be pulled out from under you. Good to have some things already in place. Anyway, here it is for now, my ID Days. This is really one of the best things I can look at to let me know how things are going, and staying focused. Given world events I am working on storing more foods right now, etc. Nice to know I have a useful skill set.

1. Plant Something-
No fall planting here, but  have 2 lavenders (1/2 price) sitting on the deck. Will plant tomorrow now that it's cooled off a bit.  

2. Harvest Something-
I picked our 1st Lemon cuke last week, amazing! Now our Italian peppers, Gypsy peppers and tomatoes are ripening- 


I read a few ways to cook the Italian peppers, including grilling with a little Olive oil, or " Luscious on an egg, pepper, and provolone sandwich made with good Italian bread!" Oh boy!!! I'll experiment, but they're not hot, but sweet, yum.


Hens are starting to lay again yay! I increased some protein snacks and it's cooling. 60 this morning and only in the 80's. Thankful for that! 

3. Preserve/Store Something-
 Fermenting some Curtido. Still freezing blackberries, we have abut 2 Qts. Will freeze tomatoes as the ripen. They froze great last year, just wash, dry, quarter, and into a plastic container! Easy. Apples will be ready soon, hopefully for my five day weekend over Labor Day. I hope. Pears sometime after that. May make some pear butter.

4. Manage Reserves- Get a Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep-
Negotiating $75.00 off a Dr. bill. Unreasonable charges, and THEY suggested. Dave got a $650.00 refund on his FSA card, unexpected! Got a nice, new-ish work blouse on Ebay, LL Bean, scored! I adore their wrinkle/stain resistant blouses. Perfect out of the dryer.

5. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipe-
I just saw some recipes for Chilaquiles, a Mexican dish I hadn't heard of. Two recipes here - 
Tillamook.com and Foodnetwork.com  These are basically eggs with a enchilada style sauce with tomato, on top of chips with cheese. The Tillamook recipe has a fun history of it. Basically day old stale chips topped with eggs, etc. This could be modified easily!  

6. Build Community Food Systems-
Bought some local fingerling potatoes from a small local market. 

 7. Recycle/Re-Use-
I saw a "free box" after a yard sale near our house and got both of  these-

Ceramic counter canister, perfect! Not sure where it will go yet, I may paint? Hmmm.

Heavy plate rack

Perfect for some cook books I want to see to use!

 8. Skill Up-
Learning some new things setting up my new Etsy shop. Looking at a craft demo to see how it sells. I think it will do really well. We'll see...


9. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something-
Am planning on getting something to clean up my headlight covers on my car. Getting pretty hazy. Tried a DIY version, no worky. I want them BRIGHT for the shorter days coming...

14 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

It all looks good. I have to plant a lavender plant outside yet, but weeding needs done to do it, ha ha! The stand works perfectly for those cook books.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks, yes weeds to pull here too :)

Rain said...

Wow Nancy, has it been a year already? I remember your last ID post, I think it's when I started to follow your blog. I love the idea of it, great post!

Nancy In Boise said...

I don't think it's been a year? Maybe a month or 2? Anyway, thanks! I read your blog too :)

Mama Pea said...

I followed your link to Wendy's blog and plan on following it now. Thanks for steering me there.

Love that ceramic canister just as it is. You sure do have a knack for finding good stuff!

Nancy In Boise said...

You're welcome Mama!

Susan said...

Thanks for the link to Wendy's blog - such important information for us all. I am with Mama Pea - how do you find such nice thrift things?!

Nancy In Boise said...

My husband and I joke that I have thrift store radar and I know when to go haha! The two items above are actually free in a box in front of a closed down yard sale. Yes Wendy's articles are really interesting and thought-provoking!

Leigh said...

Great Independence Days post! I'd forgotten all about that. But I like having those kinds of visible goals. Really motivates to get things done so that they all become habits.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks, yes it's good to review, sometimes I fell like I'm not doing much...

Salvage Sister & Mister said...

Hooray! I am so glad you linked up your post. I hear ya on the smoke. We have a ton of it here. So sad the west is in bad shape right now.

Hope we see you again on Waste Not Wednesday

Anonymous said...

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article!
It is the little changes that will make the most important changes.

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I truly enjoy reading on this website, it contains fantastic content.

Anonymous said...

Heya! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new apple iphone!
Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts!
Keep up the great work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...