Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jun 26, 2017

Tour Of Our Flowers, Flea Market & Road Trip, Bumper Service Berry Crop


Tour Of Our Flowers-
It was hot this weekend! 95+ and today a storm blew in, lightning, a little rain and thunder. Things are starting to bloom and the flowers are really taking off! Sometimes I forget to take photos of the flowers in the yards, front and back. All the flower beds were empty when we bought the house. Over the years we've added lots of different pollinators and various perennials. Here's snapshot of the flowers. More will bloom in the next month, but it gives you an idea! In the shot above, there were three small Spireas in pots along the driveway when we bought the house. We ditched the pots and planted them. Now they're huge!

Cat mint, sorry for the blur

Yarrow, Lavender and Asters (not blooming yet)

Another Cat mint where we cut down the Nectarine tree, filing in nicely!

Lamb's Ear, Oat Grass, and Shasta Daisies will bloom soon

Love the roses!!! Pretty and amazing smell

Different view of front flower bed

Back deck, flowers still settling in

My geranium that survive the winter in the garage!

Mini roses for Rosie, the first hen I lost

Backyard volunteer sunflowers and lovely lavender

Getting ready to harvest some to bring indoors!

Princess Poesy keeping cool in 95 degrees in the raised bed garden


Idaho City Flea Market

Flea Market & Road Trip-
Dave and I took a short trip to Idaho City Saturday for lunch and a drive. Going into town I told to PULL OVER!!!! A flea market! Here's some of the fun things we saw... 

I spy farmy stuff!

More stuff

Vintage fun

Too much beige for me

Cast iron galore!


I wanted that red and white enamel cup set and kettle! Don't know where I'd put them, so I passed. I have gotten to the point of not wanting stuff to buy just to buy. I want to retire some day!

Lots of hand made scrubbers

Oil lamps

Old purple glass, reminds me of my Grandma's

More glass

Fun display

Cute idea welding tools to mailboxes!

While I didn't buy anything it was fun to look!



Bumper Service Berry Crop-
With our wetter Spring we've had a bumper crop of berries! That's about 1 Qr., which is more than we've ever had! I see a small cobbler in our future :) They're a little smaller than blueberries and have a unique flavor. Not juicy, but good. Native Americans ate them and dried them. Yummy! Our Choke Cherry is coming along as well. Looking forward to making jelly. The flavor is amazing!!!


9 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

That flea market looks like it was a lot of fun. I canned service berry jam one year. Too seedy for me. I'll have to try jelly next time.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes they can be a little pithy

Rain said...

Hi Nancy! :) I LOVE flea markets!!! We do what you do, mostly just look around and try not to buy for the sake of buying, we have so much stuff already, but once in a while you find a good deal!

Your flowers are gorgeous. I planted lavender a month ago, and I have nothing so far, I hope it grows. And those blueberries look delicious! What a great harvest!!

Susan said...

OMG, I would have gone crazy at that flea market! You have such will power!! Cat mint is one of my favorite plants - I love the flowers and they attract so many pollinators. I've never tried service berries before. Maybe next year...

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks it is always fun to look around and lavender grows really well here with all the heat!

Nancy In Boise said...

I have gotten to the point of if I don't get rid of things I don't buy new things mode. We have a small house and not much storage.

Rain said...

I had a feeling it was the heat that I'm missing for the lavender to start growing! I have hopes for July! :)

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes it really needs the hot weather and sun!

Emma @ Misfit Gardening said...

The flea market looked like a lot of fun! Your flowers are looking wonderful too! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...