Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Dec 12, 2016

Comfort Food For A Deep Cold Winter's Night!

Crabmelts

Comfort Food For A Cold Winter's Night!
With single digit temps coming this weekend it's COLD! It's WINTER! More snow coming too, yay. When the deep cold sets in cold dinners are out. Time for something hearty and hot! I ran across the crabmelts recipe a year r 2 ago, and made them healthier. I used 1/4 of the mayo, eliminated the butter on the bread, lessened the olives. I have also added  roasted red peppers on ciabatta rolls. Much less fat and great flavor! I can buy a large, 2 cup can of crab meat for $8.00 and that makes 4 good sized servings. Preyty affordable! I served with little cornichon pickles and veggies. Might be good with hot soup too. Recipe here- TravelOregon.com



Yesterday I thawed out some garden tomatios, added some Italian sausage, mushrooms, herbs and made a very hearty sauce, cooking thru the afternoon. I tossed with whole grain penne pasta and cubes of feta. Add hot bread and salad, it's all good! 

4 comments:

Susan said...

That all sounds so completely delicious! I love crabmeat! I may have to adapt both recipes to a GF diet. We are supposed to get those frigid temps by Thursday. Brrrrr!

Nancy In Boise said...

I think you can get gluten-free pasta and bread

Mama Pea said...

Ah, yes, perfect weather for warm, comforting food for dinner. (Or any other meal, for that matter.) I just took some of our blueberries out of the freezer to have on oatmeal tomorrow morning 'cause we're supposed to be below zero to start the day. That's not below freezing (or 32°) but below 0!! Thinking of potato soup and ham and Swiss cheese sandwiches for lunch. 'Tis the time of year when good, (mostly) hot cookin' sure does appeal.

Nancy In Boise said...

I wish I could grow blueberries! Low here Sat. 1 degree :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...