Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Oct 11, 2015

Independence Days



Independence Days-
While I started a new job recently I'm sill focusing on thing around the homestead. Dave went out of town for the weekend, which was a nice quiet break for me. He had a brother weekend with his 4 brothers, great fun for them! Quiet for me :) It was 90 yesterday, and 70 today. Gorgeous and clear blue skies. Days much shorter, nights cooler and leaves falling. So here's a recent run down...

1. Plant Something- Done for the year.

2. Harvest Something- Veggies, herbs and tons of eggs! I'll make a bread pudding soon.

3. Preserve/Store Something- Filtered out my homemade, homegrown organic apple vinegar. Smells great!

4. Manage Reserves- Get a Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep- Froze some more peanut power bars I got at the grocery outlet, whole grain rolls, cheeses, restocked canned goods. Got rid of my icky used plastic bags for lunches for work and bought this, a lot nicer and functional!
$7.99 at Target, insulated and washable


5. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipe- Still eating garden veggies. Made a new pre-packaged (Christmas gift) veggie pasta soup. I made it tonite, with added chopped ham, was excellent with a little Asiago cheese on top. 


6. Build Community Food Systems- I may see if someone at work wants to buy eggs soon. I'm giving them to my kids for now. Bought some local corn stalks and pumpkins from a local veggie stand.

7. Recycle/Re-Use- Got rid of some clothes for donations, bought a like-new shirt off eBay. Took some of my old personal desk things from my old job to my new one. I'm in the process of decorating my cubicle. More on that later:) We can do Halloween decor, oh fun! I always missed that at school, a big no-no. Giving the hens lots of leftover fruits, veggies and dry bread. 

8. Skill Up- Learning all about my new job! Who knew insurance could be so exciting :) Also going to a benefits orientation tomorrow, lots of cool programs. Saving lots on my new benefits! I get free "life flight" on a chopper if I get into a sticky situation in the middle of nowhere. Could be handy!

9. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something- Spread lots of compost recently onto our new veggie area. It's breaking down nicely. The soil was really dead. Next year it will be very productive!

Happy Fall!

6 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I always thought I'd have too many hens with the kids starting to leave, but when they molt, I get about two a day or less. I'm considering keeping a larger flock. We have one black walnut tree in the front of our property. Hubby and I recycled some old barn wood to build a drying tray for them. It turned out very nice too. Happy Fall!

Unknown said...

Thanks. It's odd but mine rarely molt!

Leigh said...

Your chickens rarely molt? That is odd, but I wouldn't complain!

Leigh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yes they really don't much!

Jennifer@MyFlagstaffHome said...

Great challenge! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

Jennifer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...