Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Mar 16, 2015

Independence Days Challenge, Happy St. Pat's Day!!!



Independence Days Challenge-
Here's an update of the last 2 weeks:

1. Plant Something- Too early but will start some seeds soon!

2. Harvest Something- Eggs, and more eggs!

3. Preserve/Store Something- Started some more fermented veggies, radishes and carrots with dill-



4. Manage Reserves- Get a Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep- Got good deals on more LED lights for the house. I think we'll buy this to start seeds in, finally, and a good deal! Gardman Mini-Greenhouse

I think it's a good deal for $38.00 and free shipping

 5. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipe- Been eating a lot more fruits and veggies and much less wheat. I'm shrinking :)

6. Build Community Food Systems- Selling excess eggs at work.

7. Recycle/Re-Use- Made donations to thrift store. When I buy more, I donate more.

8. Skill Up- Learned some things about electrical after Dave installed 2 new dimmers this weekend.

9. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something- Moved 3 rhubarb plants to a sunnier/part shade spot. More room and should grow better.


Happy St. Pat's Day!!!-
In honor of St. Patrick's Day I made an early Irish dinner last night. Corned beef and veggies. I got out my BIG vintage biscuit cutter and made big buttermilk biscuits too!!! Yummy...

Just add a grainy mustard and horseradish

I used 1/2 unbleached and 1/2 WW flour


3 comments:

Leigh said...

Love that half unbleached, half ww combo for biscuits. That's a favorite here too. The corned beef and fermented veggies look pretty good too. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, I just adapted the recipe :)

Unknown said...

I lover fermenting radishes and carrots! Thanks for sharing on the (mis)Adventures Mondays Blog Hop!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...