Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Nov 1, 2014

Winter is Here! Taste Test- Fall Fermented Veggies, The Verdict?


Wet and cold...

Winter is Here! -
It's pouring rain and 45 degrees right now as I sit here in my polar fleece. No more flannel shirts! I made the bed with some new flannel sheets I bought last spring and added our big comforter. I washed it yesterday at the laundry mat (too bit for my washer!). All nice and clean, ready for the cold nights. Tomorrow I'm ripping out the tomatoes and harvesting the rest of the herbs, pesto making time! Winter comes on fast sometimes- 75 on Thursday, 30 forecast tomorrow night. The pink on the map below shows our first winter storms coming in the mountains. That means winter is settling in. We may have more mild 50's/low 60's but when it gets cold it pretty much stays there... Bring on the snow!!! Now I just need to stock up on lamp oil....



Done and in the fridge

Taste Test- Fall Fermented Veggies, the Verdict?
After I made my first batch of Fall Fermented Veggies I had to wait to see what the flavor was like. The verdict (after 2 weeks) is..... I like it! Nice and mild, you get the kale and chard flavor. We'll have some with dinner tonite. Roasted chicken, mashed taters and fall veggies. Yum, yum! Try this recipe, it's so easy....

4 comments:

2 Tramps said...

It is getting colder here, too, with frost expected tonight. We have had a couple of freezes but had things covered. Like you, we are picking tomatoes for the last time. And we are looking forward to winter also!

Unknown said...

We had snow in the hills this morning and near record rain!

Unknown said...

I love flannel sheets, but I'm not looking forward to snow. Happy fall!

Unknown said...

You too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...