Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Oct 19, 2014

Fall Fermenting Veggies


Fall Fermenting Veggies-
I made my Curtido a while back, and was wanting to make something else that wasn't spicy. After reading this Myhumblekitchen.com I thought I'd giver it a try. Lots of great vitamins and minerals, perfect for winter! I used one large bunch of Swiss chard, one bunch of kale, 1 thin sliced carrot, 1 large red onion, water and salt. That made two batches- one 1/2 gallon jar and one fermenting jar size, about 1 1/2 Qts. Just chop, alternate layers of veggies, smash down a bit. Very fast and easy! Now everything is fermenting away! Looks good! The hens really attacked the left over chard, and kale.

Some Anya fall cats naps-




And a fall breakfast- homemade banana bread w/pecans and Earl Grey tea

Love the chicken mug!

7 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cute cat photos, and that mug is adorable!

Unknown said...

I am experimenting with sauerkraut this winter once my cabbages are ready. I am enjoying fermented foods much more than I realized I would. Thanks for sharing and your bread looks wonderful!

Unknown said...

Thanks and welcome!

Leigh said...

I love lacto-fermented anything but never thought to make such a mix; great idea! Love the kitty shots (always) and the mug.

Unknown said...

Thanks, glad to share...

Jen said...

I really want to ferment foods. I've seen those containers for sale all over. Thank you for this post. I may just try it next year. Does it omit much of a smell?

I love the mug! Where did you get the mug? Our kitchen is all chickens.

Unknown said...

Hi Jen, there's no unpleasant odor because of the vapor lock. Ditto the regular jar. I got the mug at walmart.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...