Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

May 19, 2012

Independence Days Challenge and My First Carhartts!


Independence Days Challenge-

1. Plant Something- Getting ready to plant next weekend with 3 days off. I have the main veggie bed and the new raised bed is full of dirt. So much more room now to plant! Keeping my cold frame, perennials and evergreens going. 
2. Harvest Something- Eggs, chives, grass clippings going into the compost.
3. Preserve Something- Same, freezing more food.
4. Store Something- I keep stocking up on more basics every week. I LOVE having a freezer!!!
5. Manage Reserves- Get A Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep- Looking for a good deal on more used deck chairs.
6. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipes- Working on more old recipes.
7. Build Community Food Systems- Still need to get to the spring farmers market.
8. Recycle/Re-Use- We're building a recycled, temporary chicken area to transition the girls outside during the daytime. They're too big to be inside all day. Will be altering a LOT of summer clothes in the next couple of weeks.
9. Skill Up- Reading The City Homesteader by Scott Meyer, pretty good! Doing better on my photography, and camera settings I think.
10. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something- Moved a rhubarb and it's doing well, ditto my scruffy lavender!

My First Carhartts-  I got my first Carhartts, now I feel like a real homesteader, clothing-wise! $17.00 at - Sierratradingpost.com and nice, comfortable and heavy duty. These should be great for heavy gardening. And I'm a "regular size" now, whoop whoop!

                  Carhartt Cargo Shorts - Canvas (For Women)

2 comments:

Candy C. said...

Cute shorts!! :)

Unknown said...

They should last a lot longer than the cheap ones from walmart, etc!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...