Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Dec 8, 2011

Winter Chickens, Pagan Christmas Origins, Rescued Beagles



                         
I let the girls out a bit today. It's been really cold, 20-ish, so I let them stretch their legs out in the backyard since it was sunny. They've been pretty much in the fenced veggie garden area outside the "sunroom"after we get home.



Sweetheart Ellie, who I bonded with during her recent wormy illness. I love the photos of her on my chair looking out the picture window! I found 2 very petite eggs, from Buffy and Ellie today, in the same nesting box! Finally! Dave kept calling them "your defective chickens". Now all 3 are laying, with shorter days, a bit off cycle. We got the 2 close to summer, so I figured they might not lay much til after winter.

                                         
 Pagan Christmas Origins-                                                                                          
Anthropology has always fascinated me, and here's a good book that will spin your head around, in a good way- Pagan Christmas: The Plants, Spirits, and Rituals at the Origins of Yuletide                   Available at- Amazon.com  Really fascinating info on the very ancient, pre-Christian origins of most of the Christmas traditions. Who knew??? 

Get Out the Hankies, What a Miraculous Ending!
These beagles, who spent their lives in metal boxes in a medical research lab, see sunlight and feel grass under their paws for the first time-

More information of these wonderful dogs and their rescue workers here- blogs.discovery.com








4 comments:

Candy C. said...

I love your Julbok and Tomten! The lights on the chicken house are sooo cute, probably helps keep them a little warmer too! I thought about hanging a wreath on our coop but I figured the horse would just eat it! LOL!!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I love some of the old Scandinavian folktales of the tomtens helping the farmers... I think the julbock was from Ikea originally, got it on eBay, $5.00! I love the ribbon :) I'm going to my first Ikea store in a week, hoping to find some cool holiday stuff!

Michelle said...

I like the lights on the chicken coop.Your shelf looks cute. Tried to watch the video. But it said error . I am glad someone was there for the dogs .

Unknown said...

Thanks, sorry the video isn't working for you. Works fine here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...