Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Nov 21, 2011

Thanksgiving Prep, Whole Wheat Banana Bread


Thanksgiving Prep- Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday, no gifts, just relax and enjoy each other. Hold hands and talk about what we're most grateful for. This year we received another 25 pound bird from my hubby's boss, always makes me smile. Then I have to find fridge space, not so fun, sigh. Shopping at the local grocery store reminded me of when I was much younger and so stressed about getting the big meal right. Now it's kind of a no-brainer: prep whatever you can the two days before. Then on T day- relax, do things one at a time, take breaks. AND get the bird in on time. My kids marvel, now that they're older, on how I used to do it all alone? All those dishes coming out at the same time! And how it all came out so delish! I had some help, on occasion, but I found it better if I had the kitchen all to myself. Master of my ship- get out of my way or get out on the plank! I'd have the kids mash the taters, or help pour the pies, but I liked doing it all. Except the one year I almost had to go to the hospital from severe asthma/bronchitis. No fun then. Now the three adult girls all bring something to share and it takes the load off. I appreciate that! I envision me, decades from now, hanging onto my walker and telling them to get out of the kitchen, or I'll mash those taters on their heads! I can hear the young kids- "man, Grandma's mean sometimes, but man can she cook!" Ha!


Banana Bread- One of my favorite breakfasts (and snack) on a cold winters day was a slice of banana bread and a cup of hot cocoa. Yum. I hadn't made banana bread in years (don't buy bananas much), but I found a new w.w. recipe and had 2 dead naners, so I made a loaf! Looks good! Here's the recipe, and I used pecans, instead of walnuts- Allrecipes.com

Have a peaceful day...

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

I love your Thanksgiving Prep story!! :) I'm with you, get out of my kitchen, it's easier to just do it myself! Although, I don't mind if people bring something already prepared! LOL!!

Unknown said...

Yes, it's nice to have less to do...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Yum! I love the snowflakes on your blog too.

Unknown said...

Thanks, waiting for the real snow here~~~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...