Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jan 5, 2021

Thrifting/ Sales Scores, Currant-Orange Irish Soda Bread, Low Cost Bathroom Update!

 

Wreath, $15.00

Thrifting/ Sales Scores-
As usual I sorted thru existing holiday/Winter decor for donations. I keep gleaning things down for storage. Next I got some new fun things locally, many 80% or more, here's a peek, most of the thrift stores had all the holiday items already gone, bummer-

Wreath (see above) from Craft Warehouse, loved the details! 



Love the boots!!!

$3.00, love the wood beads for hanging

Tall about 12" tall, felt and wood, $4.00

Swag for the front entry, 24" long $7.00

From Hobby Lobby $4.00 French-style ornament table topper, may be a gift, still pondering-



Sparkles! 

Also found a gorgeous tree skirt, ours was toast. Already packed away, red velvet and green plaid, $5.00


Thrifted, from Goodwill, $1.50 says spoons in German

Perfect for my corner

From Amazon, $10.00, 22" tall and the bells work! Reminds me of Scandinavian sweaters! 


Our old Keurig is dying, so Dave and I decided to get an electric tea kettle instead. About 1/3 less than a Keurig and no waste. I make tea only and he already has a French press he can use for coffee. Great for a quick bowl of noodles too! I did some research on Consumerreports.org. with their free review of kettles and their list of best buys had this-

Ovente Electric Hot Water Kettle 1.7 Liter, $22.00 on Amazon, couldn't find locally

After Christmas (of course) I found the Trader Joe's Amaryllis bulb garden, bargain at $14.00! 

Four large blooms already! Last year's bloomed for a couple months! 

Dave bought me a nice big Amaryllis bulb several weeks ago, I dressed it up with moss and some fabric-



A little early Valentine Day item (or Christmas)  $7.00

My lovely daughter gave us a cedar-lined pine blanket chest! Perfect for storage. I might do a paint treatment, maybe. I may give away/donate my old wicker one-


Free, from the Library! Will post some recipes soon! 





Currant-Orange Irish Soda Bread-
Time for another round of baking! I made this to go with dinner or a cupt of tea! Next time I would do a larger batch, moist and delish!!!  Recipe here Currant Orange Irish Soda Bread and I used WW pastry flour, hence the darker color.


Before

Low Cost Bathroom Update!
When we remodeled our bathroom several years ago I found the really nice Ikea folk art style shower curtain above, loved it!  After browsing online on Ikea last year I found one I really like! Sadly it was gone, sigh. Then Eureka, I checked eBay! There it was just waiting for me!!! Really brightens up the whole bathroom, almost like an early spring!  Behold the new-

After

Still goes with our apple green towels and rug. Loved the floral and color scheme, easy peasy! 

6 comments:

Judy said...

Wow you scored big. I like it all. I especially love the spoon crock. Very pretty. Happy new year to you and your family.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Judy! That crock reminds me of Swedish Rosemaling painting

Mama Pea said...

Oh, I like so many of your recent new goodies! I'm amazed at the bright, new look of your shower curtain and can hardly believe you found it in the same colorway as the old one! You always give me lots of inspiration and ideas for my own decorations. Thanks!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Mama! I was ready for something a lot brighter and I love Ikea's floral style designs. I paid more for it on eBay of course, but it was still a good deal and they last a really really long time

Kristen said...

What a fun post!! Great thrift finds!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks! I think my timing was good to finding some great stuff

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...