Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Dec 9, 2020

Restoring Vintage L.L. Bean Maine Hunting Shoes, Thrifting Find

 


Restoring Vintage L.L. Bean Maine Hunting Shoes-
You just never know when you'll run into something you been wanting! I'd been on the lookout for a used pair of L.L. Bean boots. They're pretty iconic, all made in the U.S., old school technology that still works. I gave up ever finding a pair in a thrift store or cheap on eBay. We were in a thrift store recently, I happened to go over to the shoe rack and saw this label-


I looked at them, stopped and thought, wait a minute! Maine? I took the boots off the shelf, looked inside and saw this- 


I thought these were L.L. Bean "Boots", but they were Maine Bean Hunting Shoes! These are the very first, original design, not Bean "boots". More flexible, thinner soles, more like a moccasin. Info here Wikipedia.org L.L. Bean They were a Men's eight (runs big), so I tried them on. They fit perfect. I didn't see a sticker on the boots and they were on a shelf that said $3 for all shoes, unless otherwise marked. I wandered around for a few other things and took them up to the front desk to pay for them. The woman clerk was upset at the register and said several times they weren't supposed to be out on the floor. She also asked if there was a sticker on them for another price and I said no. I kind of waited for her to veto this purchase but she said okay you're getting them for three bucks. She was not happy. It was obvious somebody made a big mistake there. So I bought them and took them home along with a couple of other things. Here's the before shots- 










The first thing I did was remove the laces, the insoles and took a good look. Next I cleaned the leather with saddle soap. I washed the rubber on the boots with warm soapy water. I let them dry overnight, here with wet leather-






Next I bought some Boot Guard leather conditioner that I had used years ago. The leather was really, really dry and stiff. I folded up a paper towel and started liberally applying it on all of the leather. I had to use my fingers to get in between the gusset under the laces. The gusset is what keeps all the water out of the boots, which is great! 

This next picture shows the difference after applying half of the conditioner on the leather-

What a difference the leather conditioner makes!


So both of the boots were done. I waited about an hour and added a second coat. A little later I touched up a few other spots with my fingertips


The leather softened up quite a bit! Buffed, came out with a nice patina!!!




The insoles were shot, stitched leather with something on top that looked like burlap-






I bought some black sheepskin liners, with a foam arch support. Fit perfect, warm and cozy! 


Got new laces, similar to what's used on the L.L. Bean boots. I found out the traditional laces on the Hunting Shoes are plain brown, but I like them! I emailed L.L. Bean and found out these are probably from the 70's /early 80's. I may get them re-done at some point. I could get the whole rubber bottom replaced for about $40.00 Not a big priority right now. The leather might also not be intact enough to re-do anyway. All done, the products I used are listed on the left sidebar. Ready for snow and rain!!! Apparently they are also big for preppy style, who knew? 






Thrifting Find-
When we were checking out with the boots, and a little flatware rack, I spotted this! It was in the glass case, for $4.00! It has multi-color LED lights that rotate the colors. It's about 6" long. My one Grandson love trains so I got it for our house for him to see. We love trains too however!  It's very bright, the photo was hard to pick that up. Just too cute to pass on! The lights go blue, red, dark pink and green-




16 comments:

Cockeyed Jo said...

Nancy, Great job on the LL Beans! It's amazing what you find on thrift store shoe racks. I found 4 pairs of Ferragamo high heels for $3.50 q pair. Now these particular shoes had very little wear. New, they cost almost $500-$700 a pair. Yes, I snatched them up. They were the most comfortable business shoes I've ever worn. They even matched my suits.

After my stroke some 10 years later, I returned them back to the thrift store where I originally bought them.

Granny_J said...

The woman at the thrift store was probably planning on buying the boots herself. That often happens at one of the thrift stores where I shop. The workers aren't allowed to buy things that go out onto the floor until after they've been there for 4 hours. I watch them put items they want in odd places on the floor, put one shoe on one rack and the matching shoe on a rack across the store etc.

Nancy In Boise said...

Wow now that's a score! Good for you sending a back there. I once fought a tote bag way out of town and when I got home I found $200 in cash in it. There is no way to tell who to return it to since its have been donated so I just figured it was some good karma!

Nancy In Boise said...

That could be I haven't thought about it but yes I've heard about that kind of thing before. One of my daughters was a manager at a thrift store for a while and two of my other kiddos worked at 1 during their college Years.

Cockeyed Jo said...

Nancy, If I found $200 in a bag, I'd say. "THANK YOU JESUS!!!",

When we were going through my husband's clothes after he died, and before we donated them, we went threw every nook and cranny. My husband was notorious for sticking cash in clothes and books. We found almost $2000.

Judy said...

Awesome find. They came out so nice with the work your put nto them. After your done with them you can use them as winter decorations.

Nancy In Boise said...

We did! Wow that's a lot of money hanging around! I told my kids when they were teenagers that if I had to do their laundry and found any money that I would keep it. They usually did their own laundry but on occasion asked me to run a quick load. I found a few bucks and kept it haha

Nancy In Boise said...

They're done and I'll probably wear them once in awhile. I have really nice snow boots but they're very stiff and these are much more comfortable! I don't mind how they look to me it's a Nostalgia thing oh, and hey they're made in America!

Goatldi said...

Score! Love and miss LLBean. I remember these boots will keep my eye open. Good finds!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks! I've always loved their stuff really really good quality. I've been lucky enough to buy LL Bean clothes in thrift stores, eBay and some of them new. I love their women's flannel blouses, thick, soft, and they never pill. Definitely worth the price

Mama Pea said...

Your L.L. Bean boots may have been a one-of-a-kind find, but you are one-of-a-kind, too! How many people would take the time and effort to restore those boots as you have? I have a feeling the leather tops are going to conform to you feet and ankles as you wear them. They will truly be YOUR boots then.
Great job! And that train? Wow.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Mama! What I asked my husband was how many women do you know who would go and restore these boots? He knows I appreciate traditions and good craftsmanship and being a little Urban Homesteader that I am I go out in all kinds of weather. And yes the train is amazing! Really bright especially since I put some new batteries in haha. My grandsons will love it this winter

Rain said...

Hi Nancy :)) I LOVE your fuzzy boot liners! What a great find, you really restored those boots nicely...$3. Amazing. The Christmas train is so cute!

PS: I loved your Edward G stuntman story! :) How cool is that???

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Rain! Yes so she can liners are nice and soft and will be very warm. Yeah it's funny that my mom's neighbor knew Edward G. Robinsons stuntman. Kind of funny who winds knowing somebody semi-famous

Sarita @ An Off Grid Life said...

What a great find! And you did a really nice job of fixing them up. Love the old LL Bean stuff. Still use my duck shoes almost 30 years after buying them. Thanks for sharing at the Homestead Blog Hop!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks! Sorry I didn't see your response sooner it went into a spam folder

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...