Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Nov 10, 2019

Winter Is Here- Sort Of, Tweaking Bathroom Remodel Decor, Planning A Backyard /Coop Re-Do,Great Finds!


Winter Is Here, Sort Of-
Our weather has been so dry, dry, dry lately that it's strange watching all the snow back East. It's been in the fifties lately during the day the thirties at night, so winter is definitely here. Our 14 degree cold snap last month really affected some of our trees locally. If you look at our huge maple tree, some of the leaves are just wilted, little color. Not normal! Other people noticed that some of their trees didn't really have a chance to change color as much as usual either. We still have all of our cold weather gear out. We're loving our new warm comforter I bought off season and kitty Anya is always finding a warm spot in the sun. We're waiting for a first big rain storm to arrive. Still allergy season sadly. We packing up the garden work bench today and I covered with plastic-

Bye bye tools

Last night we had a taste of summer by opening our 1st can of our organic peaches I canned. Amazing in a light syrup, just like fresh!!! So good...... paradise peaches...




Tweaking Bathroom Remodel Decor-
We finished up the bathroom remodel and I did the reveal last week. I wanted to tweak a few things though, so here is more of an updated version! I moved a few things around on the rack above the toilet and moved the print down. I realized there was a really big gap between the top of the toilet and the wall rack, so problem fixed! I bought some new knobs at Hobby Lobby for the new Ikea cabinet, green/blue ceramic and a really nice shade, I was not a fan of the old, cheap black metal ones-




 I moved my wood fish I bought at the coast where I could see it better, driftwood-ish...


I wanted some kind of a glass float to put in the bathroom. They're not hard to find but the ones that I found were really overpriced. I looked on eBay and I found these faux ones instead! Nice sized for a small bathroom-






I think for now we're  all done!!!



Planning A Backyard /Coop Re-Do-
Recently I was reading an article about keeping small livestock and how much easier it is. I started thinking about the layout of our background, and the fact we will probably need to rebuild the coop soon. It's held up really well for quite a few years, but it's showing wear, wood rot in small areas. We know we need to put it on a different type of foundation. I started thinking we should build a new Coop/shed where are shade area and cold frame is-


That would open up more sunny space for the garden for growing vegetables and would give the chickens a cooler area in the summer. It would also be away from the main easement fence, and less visible to hawks overhead. We'd reconfigure the chicken fencing as well. Dave's on board, and he's designing, and may do that next summer. It would be easy enough to build a second coop while the first one is still up. We'll probably build on some shed space, since we don't have a shed at this point. That would be a great use of space! And we could, of course, use a lot of recycled materials.


Tea Cups, $10.00

Great Finds !!!
I do tons of thifting and eBaying for great deals. I only recently found out that Ikea has started shipping items across the U.S.! They have a $5 shipping fee up to a certain amount of weight, I'm not sure what. I did find some really cool items that I was going to order, but was really disappointed that you can't order any of their holiday items online. If you follow this blog you know that I really love Scandinavian holiday stuff! I was really excited to find some great things and I added them to my shopping basket. When I went to check out there was a big note of these are unorderable online,  bummer. I ordered a few random things, including a new shower mat. We had bought one when we were in Portland coming back from the coast fit perfect was heavy and was only $7. These are the more fun items that I was able to get online, all found at Ikea.Us

12" tray, $7.00 for next spring, was not in store


Huge Godtagbar vase, $10.00, goes with 2 other smaller ones I bought previously, 
love the lumpy handmade clay look, and traditional Swedish folk art design


I discovered this website last year LTDcommodities (I'm not an affiliate).  I found a few fun items for winter and the holidays. A bowl/dish combo for my homemade soups! I've decided to make a pot of something each weekend. This was Minestrone and cheddar biscuits last week-


Two bowls for $12.99, nice heavy stoneware, two colors per set, I bought one of each-




Cute Christmas truck, made of solid wood, $6.00-


Fabric banner, $6.00- 


Two Troll towels, $9.00-



4 comments:

Leigh said...

You always have such fun finds to share. Love those soup and cracker bowls. I've never seen anything like them before. And aren't new knobs and pulls a wonderful way to put a new look on dressers and cabinets? Really spruces them up.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks much Leigh, never saw bowls like that either! :)

Laurie Cover said...

Thank you for sharing your remodel. Progress feels so good!

I really like the soup and sandwich/cracker bowls. Those are really cool and rustic looking. Great find!

I appreciate you sharing at the Homestead Blog Hop!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Laurie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...