Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jul 13, 2019

Easy, Frugal Lemon & Yellow Decor For Summer, Florida Now Allows Growing Veggies In Front Yards, Re-Creating American Hero Sandwich


Easy, Frugal Lemon & Yellow Decor For Summer-
Summer is here, since it was 99 degrees yesterday! We had an unusual thunderstorm last night, which brought heavy rain for and hour or so. What a relief!!! Years ago I found this great post on a old, abandoned blog Hazeleyessue.blogspot.com, I saw her photo-


I spied a mini-lemon garland! I'd never had seen those before. I looked for them and last year finally found some. This winter, when it was really gray, I stumbled onto some really cute living room and kitchen decor with lemons and lots of yellow. It really got me thinking about adding some brightness in the kitchen and dining room. I already had some things with lemons on them so I just got a few other things to go with them...



I found some really cute ceramic lemons from Target for a dollar each, on two different trips, and bought six total. Love them!


Then I found this Michel Design Works really gorgeous tea towel on eBay for $8. Love the yellows,  flowers and the bird. It's called Tranquility-




I had an old blue Ball jar with small lemons, sits on the counter


I already had the lemon topiary I made out of a existing blue ceramic pot, using twigs, moss and faux lemons


Originally I had wanted to buy a blue Keurig coffee maker off of QVC. Years ago they had a really great deal, but they were out and so I bought a yellow one. It's grown on me overtime! I also found a thrifted cute little coffee bean container, to add a little more yellow.


Finally I had a really pretty French country ceramic breadbox, and put my jar of yellow Polenta out on the counter, in front of a French country tray. Maybe this will inspire you to add some sunny yellow to your home!!! Or go make some lemonade! Stay cool my friends...



Florida Now Allows Growing Veggie In Front Yards-
It's great to see someone beat city hall, or in this case, the state. Love these people and their tenacity! Click on link above for full story. Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smart Governor.



Re-Creating American Hero Sandwich-
Recently on our Baker City road trip I had an American Hero sandwich. I tried-recreating it at home, not the best photo, sorry. I used Ciabatta bread since I had it on hand, instead of their amazing Focaccia bread. Basically here it is-

Ingredients-
Sliced Roast beef, Pepperoni slices, sharp cheddar cheese slices, Horseradish mixed with sour cream. You could add lettuce and tomato, etc. Obviously this is not plant based! Slice bread into a rectangle, mix sour cream and pure horseradish to taste, you want it hot, but not blistering. Layer meats and cheese, I served with chips and veggies. You could really play with this recipe and add olives, change the meats, etc. Nice dinner for a hot night!

5 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I LOVE yellow! So chirky and bright and happy! Your decorations are (as always) so pretty and well thought out. Or maybe you just have that natural knack for how to put things together and make lovely displays!

I've already eaten dinner but that sandwich is making me hungry. I do believe sandwiches are just about my favorite thing to eat. (Except pies, of course.)

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Mama! I think I've gotten better as I've gotten older about being able to visualize things together. And with all of my fun thrift store items I can just sometimes move things around. I decided the other day to do it sandwich night once a week for a simple dinner in the hot weather. Even with air conditioning it's not any fun to heat up the kitchen in really hot weather since we've been pushing a hundred degrees lately.

Susan said...

It drives me crazy that growing food on your own property can be illegal! And don't get me started on the state that makes collecting rainwater illegal, too. I say, 'back off, government'. Oh, yum, on that sandwich!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Susan I'm in the same mode. If rain falls on my property why is it not my rain? And yes that sandwich was really yummy!

Laurie said...

I really love the tea towel with the birds and yellows. My mom would like that, since her favorite color is yellow. It is cheery and bright.

Thank you for sharing at the Homestead Blog Hop!

Come back again!

Laurie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...