Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jan 19, 2019

Crazy Weather and Cobbler, Nice Freebies and Finds!


Crazy Weather And Cobbler-
I woke up this morning to a soaked yard and fences. We have had just really crazy weather lately! We had a little bit of snow a few days ago, that melted and turned to just dry weather. Next we had almost 50 degree weather for 2 days. Last night a big rain storm blew in, with more rain in the forecast, but mild. The good news is there should be quite a bit of snow up in the mountains which we really need. The hens are really producing, with more than 2 dozen eggs in the fridge! Giving some to my daughter today. The chickens are glad the sun room is up. It's a nice dry space for them during the wetter weather. They take dust baths, hang out and chat about whatever chickens chat about. We haven't had a many big winter storms blowing in so far. That's never good for upcoming fire season. I will probably bring in my to let it snow signs this weekend since I don't think it's going to happen! I'll be putting away our winter decor next weekend, and get ready for Valentine's Day. It's just around the corner which always seems to get me ready for Spring. I guess it's just the bright red? What's the weather doing where you are? With the cold, wet weather (45 today) I decided to use some of my home grown, home canned apples and make Nancy's appleblueberry cobbler -




Nice Finds!
Here's a few great deals, and freebies, I've gotten lately! I had noticed the Subaru seemed to have some squeaking gone on in the engine, like a slipping belt. I mentioned it to Dave a few times and he told me he didn't hear anything. Our son-in-law listened and confirmed my squeak. At the dealership it turned out the was a "service bulletin" out for the belt. They installed a new one for free and now no drama down the road. Score! It's not a "recall", but close enough. I wish they would inform people of service bulletins. I can only guess it's too much trouble and they would be giving away a lot of service time and parts.

I recently found a new (to me) British series on Netflix on gardening in small spaces - Big Dreams, Small Spaces We still have some odd areas on the lot that are hard to garden on, lack of sun, etc. I'm hoping this will give me some ideas, since Spring is around the corner! Some of the ideas are for planting edibles, so curious to get ideas for that too.

Next when I purged a lot of my clothes I found a new pair of jeans I had altered. They were still a little too big thru the waist. I had taken them in, but not enough, and had sat them aside. They got buried in the closet. Still too big but I fired up the sewing machine and all fixed!

I bought more faux Swedish ivy online that I couldn't find locally, and found this, a Victorian Chicken Plate-



It's heavy and very textured if you see the photo above. Just gorgeous. About 12" x 12". It's now hanging in my dining room "window".

                                                     

We did a mini road trip to our favorite little diner two weekends ago. It had been sold and all the cool vintage collections were gone-

Loved the green painted handles! 

Cool green Australian (owner told me) pie safe

Food was still great, but kind of sad about the decor. The space was more open, less cluttered and the theme they went with was mountain decor-





I really liked the fish, canoe, tree and duck!

I asked the waitress where they got some of their things and she told me all kinds of places and LTD.com  I had never heard of them, but Dave had. It's like Amazon on steroids for decor, etc. Great prices, relatively speaking as well. I decided I could buy a few NEW things for a change. (FYI, just sharing my finds, no fees being paid.) On the first page of the online catalog I saw a small goat figure !!! Swoon! I always wanted real goats, but have to go with the fake ones. I bought two figures, shipped and on their way, they also have cows, sheep and pigs!

Nice finish

I like table runners, not a table cloth or place mat fan. Runner are easy to wash and rotate. I found this chicken themed 72" table runner, $6.00, bought 2 matching towels, so cute! Perfect for some red for Valentine's day and summer-


And another chicken item, small mini windvane, $9.00, (what can I say I love chicken stuff). I may polyurethane this and put it outside, not sure yet-


I got 2 things for Christmas for next time, great after holiday sales, a 60" x 102" fabric tablecloth, big enough for our dining table with the leaf in, $10.00. I can use it for our big family get-togethers and use into January too- 


I LOVE this reindeer, it came yesterday, soft and sweet, $14.00.The antlers light up, or you could leave them off. Very soft fabric and the legs unscrew for easy storage. It looks even better in person! I may sew a button on the nose...



A while back I got a small sample glass cleaning cloth at Ace Hardware. It's fabric, uses no chemicals just water and it did a great job! Worked on the computer monitors, windows, TV. Just wet, wring out and use. Dry as needed. It's scent-free and should last quite a while, 2 pack here-

                                                       



4 comments:

Wendy said...

What a great finds. Wanted to take a look at this shop but (being from Europe) that is not possible.
Kind regards, Wendy

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Wendy but I'm sure there's lots of great shops in Europe!

Susan said...

I love that goat! I think the weather all over the country has been just insane. We had below-zero temps and now will have heavy rains! It's crazy!

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes better than blizzards for sure and negative temps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...