Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Nov 19, 2017

How I Got Started With The Independence Days Challenge, Little Winter Preps



How I Got Started With The Independence Days Challenge-
I was wondering recently when I first started doing my IDC posts? After digging a bit I found it was back in 2012! I was looking at my Sharon Astyk books Adapting Our Homes and Our Lives to Settle in Place (Mother Earth News Books for Wiser Living) and Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation , have read these books several times, and they still inspire me! There are so MANY great ideas on doing what you can, where you are! Links are on my side bar for more info. Since life is a process I find the ideas can be adapted over time really well. With variations in space, money you can invest, time you have they're great resources. My original post is here 2012 Independence Days Challenge Ideas and to think it was 5 years ago, how time flies!  I still love looking at this list and thinking about what we've done, and what we still need to work on. I did modify it a bit after reading how some other websites re-worded it just a bit, but you get the idea-

1. Plant Something-

2. Harvest Something-

3. Preserve/Store Something-

4. Manage Reserves- Get a Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep-

5. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipe-

6. Build Community Food Systems-

7. Recycle/Re-Use-

8. Skill Up-

9. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something-

I really loved following Sharon's blog, but then she went on to other things. So if you need some inspiration to start with where you are already living, or want to try some other things, buy her books!


Last Winter's Snowmageddon

Little Winter Preps-
With winter settling in, I have been doing some random preparedness tasks like-
making sure ice scrapers and fleece travel blankets are in the cars, air pressure checked in the tires, new wipers as needed, antifreeze checked, chicken water heater plugged in in the coop. Dave put the sun room for the coop back together for the winter.  We didn't last year, and it snowed, several feet! It's ready now-




Flashlights in the cars with fresh batteries, new rechargeable batteries in the solar garden lights.
I just ordered one of these FLOUREON Portable Solar Battery Charger only $16.99! Can charge 2 devices at a time, great idea! Having a couple of these is a good idea. While you may not have cell service, you can still access important info stored on your phone, tablet or other device. Amazing how expensive these used to be compared to now-



5 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Excellent Christmas gift idea!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks, and any kind of gifts that help us live our lives better is always a great idea!

Mama Pea said...

What a great sunroom for your chickens! I'll bet it gets toasty warm in there on days with any sun.

I know you've stated it before, but how many chickens do you keep in your little homestead chicken house? And how many eggs do you normally get a day? Is it enough for the two of you?

Nancy In Boise said...

We just have the three hands right now and their production is way down so I will probably get three new chicks in the early summer next year. That's usually enough to give some away to our adult kids or I could sell it work if I wanted to once we get the new ones going. We usually have an excessin a good year

Nancy In Boise said...

I meant three hens :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...